X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the registry in windows server 2003

Hi,

I have been asked a question about Last Known Good Configuration,

The video driver has been updated as has the autologon configuration, but after restarting their computer the display is unreadable, is it possible to use Last Know Good Configuration to remove those changes to the registry ?

I hope someone can help.

Many Thanks.

Taiga_Terry.

Re: Adjusting the registry in windows server 2003

LNG rolls back to the last successful LOGON, so if that has not happened, you have a chance
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Could you define "unreadable"? Are you able to boot in safe mode?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sounds like a screen resolution error.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I don't believe LNG will work for you in this case. You have logged on successfully (whether or not the display is readable or not). This means that the contents of Current Configuration (with the bad video driver) have now been written to LNG. Resorting to the LNG is going to leave you with the same problem. Boot into VGA mode or Safe mode and either update the video driver or uninstall the video card and let Windows reinstall the driver when you reboot the server.

Comment

thank you for your help, all i know is that the screen is impossible to read, so they may not have logged on ?

but i dont know if it is impossible to read after or before logging on which i guess makes all the difference.

Comment

Oh, I see. In that case then try the LNG.

Comment

thank you, all your help is much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  Boot into VGA mode or Safe mode and either update the video driver or uninstall the video card and let Windows reinstall the driver when you reboot the server.
                  Or connect to the server via RDP, if it's enabled.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    Or connect to the server via RDP, if it's enabled.
                    Bugger! You beat me to it!

Yes - use Remote Desktop or unsolicited remote assistance. You can then set a "default" resolution and reboot...

Or if that doesn't work, use something like Dameware mini-remote control which will put you at the console of the PC (it "pushes" it's own client software to the target PC). Change the screen resolution with that...

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I personally wouldn't use LastKnownGood on a server for such a simple issue. Depending on your last reboot (for a server, this could be months) it can roll back a lot of changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X