Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Services problem~

Hi all

I have a customer currently who is running Exchange 2003 on a HP DL360 G5 server.

Everything works fine if rebooted normally but, IF the server is rebooted unexpectedly, Exchange Services (Information Store and one other) always fail to start.

This means someone has to log on and manually start them - which is fine, I added a startup script to do this and also auto-login.

Problem is they are currently having some major electrical work going on casuing lots of unplanned outages, and when the server comes back up, it sits on the "Unplanned Reboot" dialog box asking for a comment or reason.

Is there anyway I can disable this? As soon as I go past that the rest of my "plan" works well - it auto-logins and runs the script to start Exchange Services.

If Im out or whatever, they are left w/o mail. And I dont trust any of them to touch the servers <.<

Re: Exchange Services problem~

Pretty straightforward really, if the server is critical then it should be on a UPS to avoid any possible power outages.

However if they are unwilling to splash out any cash then this link should do what you want.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I would also try and find out why the services don't start. There should be plenty of events in the logs to determine the cause.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

However if they are unwilling to splash out any cash then this link should do what you want.
        Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Their current UPS's allow abour 8 mins before they are out of juice, which is just enough to safely shut the servers down if I'm on site.

They wont pay out for anything more though.

That link sound like what I want - but the Server is, of course, part of the domain. Does this matter?

I just replicated that edit into Group Policy for that server...hope it works

Also, I looked at logs before..All I get is:

Code:
        The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service depends on the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error: 
        The operation completed successfully. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
        Code:
        The Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service depends on the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error: 
        The operation completed successfully. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
        Thats it, nothing else to go by Where would you advise looking? Servers are always 100% up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
          Their current UPS's allow abour 8 mins before they are out of juice, which is just enough to safely shut the servers down if I'm on site.
          Why not write a batch file to shutdown the servers? If there's a power cut overnight, you could have a hard day ahead of you when you get in the next morning.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Can you elaborate, I dont see what this would achieve?

If Im on site I can shut them down manually, but if I am not on site IF (very big IF) they tell me as soon as the power goes I can log in remotely and shut them down.

If I am not onsite and they I am not at a PC the batch file cant be run anyway!

Comment

Is your UPS not connected to one of the servers via USB or Serial? Assuming it's not got a network interface.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Serial + Serial or Serial and USB.

If Im brutally honest I cant work out how to configure the damn thing to automatically shutdown (if its even possible? with the free software that comes with the UPS's).

One is a HP one, using the HP Power Manager, the other is an APC one using the Free Version of Powerchute.

EDIT: and then there's the testing part...so hard to test without jepordizing the servers if A) it doesnt work B) finding suitable downtime (aka there never is one)

Comment

Those services will show problems if you have issues connecting to domain controllers. How is your network setup? (just out of interest).
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Setup is as follows:

2 x DL360 G5 Servers, both running Win2k3 Server Standard Edition, all fully patched.

1 is running DC + Backups
                    1 is running Exchange + SQL

Flat Layer 2 network.

Each Server is running off each of its own UPS, with various other devices on each.

....Not sure what else you would need?

MAYBE the Exchange server is being switched on first, so it cant find the DC (if the DC is still booting up)

Although whenever I do it I always power up the DC first, then the Exchange server about 30s afterwards.

Let me check the iLO2 cards to make sure the DC comes on first with auto-bootup.

Comment

If Im brutally honest I cant work out how to configure the damn thing to automatically shutdown (if its even possible? with the free software that comes with the UPS's).
                      We've not bothered with PowerChute on our servers - see no need for it. Windows will see the UPS (ours connected by USB) as a battery which adds options to the power management settings for what to do when the battery level gets low or critical. Plus allowing you to define what you consider to be low or critical.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

The iLO2 cards were booting up the servers at the same interval (30s) after the power came back on, so I adjusted them to boot the DC up first then then Exchange Server 60s after.

With this and also the removal of the Shutdown Event Tracker (so my startup script can run) I will hope to have solved the immediate problem of no exchnage services after a power cut.

Just need to work out how to automatically run a batch file at certain battery %, to shut both servers down gracefully.

Shame I cant find anything on the HP website abut their power manager!

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                          We've not bothered with PowerChute on our servers - see no need for it. Windows will see the UPS (ours connected by USB) as a battery which adds options to the power management settings for what to do when the battery level gets low or critical. Plus allowing you to define what you consider to be low or critical.
                          Does this allow shutdown of the server, at low/critical?

Now I have a closer look the free edition only really gives you monitoring facilities, which I either dont need or the HP Power Manager (on the other server) can do.

Comment

Does this allow shutdown of the server, at low/critical?
                            Yes, or in your case you would have it run your batch file. That would shutdown any servers running off that UPS, then shutdown the server connected via USB.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Excellent, I need to look into that.

If its a batch file is there not a tsshutdn command I can use to turn off networked servers?

Comment

Working...
                              X