Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS needs rebooting

Ok,
    I am running WSUS 3.0 on a Server 2003 machine fully updated. Everything seems to be working fine except every now and then I need to reboot the Server to get WSUS up and running again. I get this in the Log of the Server:

Code:
    Event Type:	Warning
    Event Source:	Windows Server Update Services
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	7032
    Date:		1/5/2009
    Time:		3:38:47 PM
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	WSUS-Server
    Description:
    The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException -- An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.IO.IOException -- Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.CallProcessAuthentication(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    I reboot and all is good again for a little while at leasr.

Re: WSUS needs rebooting

"Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server."

Are they?

"If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service."

No effect I guess?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I had this with my default install of WSUS. I guess theres a memory leak because the SQL instance would eat all the RAM on the system causing problems.

I fixed it by limiting the SQL instance to 256 MB RAM.

Comment

I restarted all the Services in that that message. It does not good though. The only thing that works is to reboot the Server. I believe it could have something to do with MSSQL database and permissions to the database via the Network User. Also when it stops working the log gives me all the errors for the WSUS Pool on the IIS Manager as not working. I log into the IIS Manager and restart everthing but still no go.

Comment

SQL (and Exchange and...) will use up a lot of memory when it's available, and then release it when it's needed by other processes. You shouldn't limit it's memory use unless you have a specific reason to do so. We also don't have enough detail from the OP to know if this is the problem or not.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well I just rebooted the Server and all is working again. Not sure if I am running into an issue with Memory Leak or not as the Server was utilizing a lot of memory but did not notice and major issues with other applications on this server. This Server acts as a Radius Server, Print Server, FTP Server and WSUS Server. Any more info I can provide to help troubleshoot would be great.

Comment

Working...
            X