No announcement yet.

disk performance counters

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disk performance counters

i need to enable the disk performance counters on a server running w2k sp 3. eventhough the microsoft website states these counters are enabled by default in w2k, they weren't on this server. i've already run the command diskperf -y (which is listed as the command to enable all counters) and rebooted the server.
    however, the physical and logical disk counters are not available in performance monitor.

i haven't tried diskperf -yv, yet because i need to get a timeslot and permissions for every reboot.
    also, i am wondering whether this will work if the command to enable all counters doesn't.

i've checked the running services and compared them to the services running on 2 other w2k servers where the counters are working fine. they all match up and the event log isn't showing any messages related to disk counters.

does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

found the solution.
    in the following registry key was a reg dword entry which disabled the disk counters on those machines.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\PerfDisk\Performance

after changing the value from 1 to 0 or removing the reg dword and rebooting the servers, the counters are now available and working as designed :P
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Thanks for sharing the answer.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Just for your general knowledge, using the DISKPERF utility does the same as far as I know:

Application Log Events Generated When You Start Performance Counter Query:;EN-US;296187

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services