need apps for alerting when specifics events happen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need apps for alerting when specifics events happen

guys, could anyone suggest me of an application that receives logs from the even viewer and can send me alerts when specifics events happens, like for example if I want to receive an email alert when a user produces too many invalid logon attempts or when someone tries to delete a file that they don't have permission for it.... yes I know that alerting needs to be turned on.

thanks
    -JV
    blog:LINK REMOVED
    Last edited by m80arm; 5th January 2009, 10:27.

Re: need apps for alerting when specifics events happen

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=event+log+monitor

What OS? How many servers? How do you want to be alerted?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=event+log+monitor

What OS? How many servers? How do you want to be alerted?
      I have 2 Windows 2003 servers and I would like to be alerted by email

thanks

Comment

In all honesty, there are a bazillion applications that will do this. Why don't you Google it and take a look at some of them.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...onitor&aq=f&oq=

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          In all honesty, there are a bazillion applications that will do this. Why don't you Google it and take a look at some of them.

well to be honest, I have tested a lots of them, like eventsentry, packettrap, solarwind's orion etc... but must of them are not free, and the free ones that I've found didn't convince me... so I came here to see if any fellow tech, has tried some I didn't know, I certantly didn't come here looking for links to google... if that all you've learned as tech in your years of experience, then I don't know what to tell you!
          but thantks for the help any way!

Comment

With respect, your initial post gave no indication that you had done any research. Had you mentioned that, and maybe which products you had tried and why you didn't like them, then maybe we could offer better help. As it was, the impression was that you had not tried any of the available products. Therefore it was deemed prudent to show you where to find various examples.

So with that in mind: what products have you tried and in what way did they not meet your requirements?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

My thoughts exactly, gforce. This is too broad a subject and I thought the best course of action would be a Google search and a test drive of some that are found from the search. You're likely to get pages of responses to this, so here's my two cents:

I currently use Tembria Server Monitor. It's relatively inexpensive (around $800.00 US) and has all the checks you're looking for.

I've also used:

AlchemyEye Pro
              ServersAlive!
              LogMeister
              EventSentry
              SolarWinds

Comment

well I tested PacketTrap the free version looks very promising, but the only problem is that they are not including any kind of alerting in the free version, not even emails, they paid version from packetTrap I liked but like I said you have to pay for it... I've also tried EvenSentry, but it lets you do very little with the free version, and PerfMon included in Windows 2003 server, is not what I need.... I just plan to collect logs from 2 server, both of them 2003 one is a file server/print server/applicaion server and the other one is Exchange, so I'd be collecting quite a bit of data mainly from Active Directory, I'm looking for something free as budget is tight right now, and if it can collect logs from a Linux system even better....

hope that explains your questions

-JV

Comment

I can recommend eventsentry as well.
                  Maish
                  ----------------------------------------------------------
                  Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                  VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                  MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                  A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                  ----------------------------------------------------------
                  If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
                  X