Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove from domain with out domain controller.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove from domain with out domain controller.

Hi guys,

I have a server that's from a foreign and unreachable domain.
    This server cannot be formatted and reinstalled as it contains databases and custom software.

What I need to do is remove it from its current domain and add it to our own domain.
    Sounds easy but I cant. I logged in locally with an Admin account but the change button is grayed out.

I have tried the cached domain admin account on the server but that wont let me do it either.

So my question is, how do I remove this computer from the foreign domain with out it being able to contact the foreign domain controller.

Thanks.

Re: Remove from domain with out domain controller.

Isn't it a DC?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

This foreign server is not a DC.
      Its a member server of another domain.

Comment

I'm not sure how this would work, but what about creating a new DC with a new domain name and joining the server to that domain, then remove it and decommission the new DC?
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

What do you guys think of this solution?

"you would run dcpromo and tell it its the last server in the forest. Demote to standalone and then promote to add to your forest"

I found it some where else on the net but there were no replies to that tread.

what would be the consequences of doing it like this?

Thank you.

Comment

You can't demote it if it isn't a DC...
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hmmm although you said that it isn't a DC I really think it is.
              If you run DCpromo on a existing DC, then he falls back in a member server. You will be aked if you want to remove AD.
              On the other hand, if it isn't a DC he will ask you if you want to install a AD Server.

So...... I would say, Run DCpromo and post some screenshots of it here.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Out of interest, other than the Change button being greyed out, what makes you think it would be a DC? I may have missed something but from what I've seen, I'm inclined to assume the OP knows the difference
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well, I usually have seen this when it was a DC.
                  You can't change a DC to an other domain, without demoting and promoting it.

The other thing which I might be is that he has missing services (like netlogon and workstation) or maybe they aren't started.

Also the TS is talking about to use the DCpromo command and this causes me to have some doubts. (no offence though)
                  I just want to make sure before looking further

Also I can't recall if there is any policy who might do this...
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

If it was a DC he wouldn't be able to log on locally.

I would suggest that if he has logged on locally and the change button isn't available that he's not logged on as Administrator (or the renamed account).

@punk0.
                    1. Can you see the Administrator account in Local Users and Groups? If you can are you logging on as the user with a description of "Built-in account for administering the computer/domain"?
                    2. When logged on locally can you create a new user?

If you aren't logging on as the Administrator or a user with full admin privilages you can't remove the server from a domain. If you don't know the Administrator password you will have to remove it, read this.
                    If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

But what is locally.. not connected to any network perhaps...
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
                        If it was a DC he wouldn't be able to log on locally
                        If you mean he wouldn't be able to logon as a local user, then yes that's right. If on the other hand you mean he actually wouldn't be able to logon locally...
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
                          If it was a DC he wouldn't be able to log on locally.
                          log on locally = logging on to the computer not a domain.
                          Attached Files
                          If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Just wanted to clarify

Slightly OT... a while back we experienced a bug where we were unable to logon interactively to any of our domain controllers. That was... unnerving.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                              Well, I usually have seen this when it was a DC.
                              You can't change a DC to an other domain, without demoting and promoting it.

The other thing which I might be is that he has missing services (like netlogon and workstation) or maybe they aren't started.

Also the TS is talking about to use the DCpromo command and this causes me to have some doubts. (no offence though)
                              I just want to make sure before looking further

Also I can't recall if there is any policy who might do this...
                              I had just come here to reply to this thread but I see Dumber already hit the nail on the head.
                              The workstation service had stopped Running. Seems to be some kind of malware on our network because 2 workstations and another member server had the same issue.

Thank guys for all the effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X