No announcement yet.

Help Please! 2003 Server not seen

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please! 2003 Server not seen

This morning I came in early to reboot the server because it hasn't been rebooted for a good while and we've had reported intermittant problems saving files on our data drive.

After reboot I've found that people can't gain access directly to the server (ServerOne). People can get to the shared folders on that server and they can authinticate through it for DNS but can't get directly to it. If I go to My Network Places/Entire Network/ I can see ECDLP but in the list I see all of the computers but not Serverone itself. Also, I can go into a browser and type in \\serverone\ it will show the contents of the server in an explorer window but if I close the window and open it up again I find serverone is missing from the list under My Network Places/ECDLP once again. This is causing problems for our main plotter because it can't authenticate to serverone to scan print jobs into the server where it stores them. Surely someone has seen this problem and I'm just missing it. It is strange to see DNS working fine (get out to internet) as well as active directory (logging in is fine) but not able to go to the server and see the server in the list on My Network Places. I first noticed this when I lost all of my mapped drives on my PC. Luckily the employees haven't had this problem. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Check to see if the Netlogon service is running.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

I checked and Netlogon was running but I restarted it just in case.

I'm perplexed about this. I logged out and back in. I can login fine (as can everyone else). I can see all of my mapped drives and they work (after I rebooted my own PC). I can go to My Network Places and see the ECDLP (DC) and it will open up and show all of the active computers on the network but it no longer shows Serverone in the list. Then I can type in the full path to Serverone and cha ching.. it shows up in the list of computers under ECDLP including itís sub folders. If I close that window and open another explorer window then Serverone is no longer in the list. Repeat typing in the full path and it pops up again. The good thing is that the users arenít really affected except for the one plotter they use. The plotter scans files in and they go to the data drive on Serverone but it canít see Serverone at all. It has to be on the server side and that the controller for the plotter canít see Serverone. Any ideas from what Iíve said?

Find out which machine is currently your master browser, see if there are any problems on this.

try moving it to another PC.

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

I checked and the 2003 server itself is running as the master computer browser. It was running but I restarted anyway without a change. IT shows to be working properly. Any ideas from here?

I found the problem.

I had to go into the TCP/IP settings and enable WINS/NetBios on the 2003 server which was disabled. I'm not sure why I had to do it now but that fixed the problem. Reboot the server and create a day's worth of work poking around. Not how I planned my day but I learned something. As usual thanks a ton for the help. This is the best site I have found for Windows issues.

Replace the 2000 server PDC!

sorry to bother you!
              my PDC 2000server is old,and I try to replace it :P :P :P :P , the other 2000 server domain controller is still reponse for login and create new user account, trust ..., but I find the "Domain controller security policy"and "domain security policy" is not working, how can I make this domain controller totally replace the PDC?
              I tried to transfered 5 FSMO to the other DC, but I get these kinds message in event viewer:
              The checkpoint with the PDC was unsuccessful. The checkpointing process will be retried again in four hours. A full synchronization of the security database to downlevel domain controllers may take place if this machine is promoted to be the PDC before the next successful checkpoint. The error returned was: The RPC server is unavailable.
              (I checked RPC & RPC locator ,they are all running,and even I restart them ,still same)

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from QUEENS to QUEEN for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name FRS will keep retrying.
              Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name from this computer.
              [2] FRS is not running on
              [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain X3D. The following error occurred:
              There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
              (I restarted Netlogon service,it still same.)

Security policy in the Group policy objects are applied successfully.

Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server could not be contacted.
              any indea?
              thanks in advance!

I wish I could help out but I'm unsure of the problem. When considering the small size of the company I'm working for and the complications of upgrading with the current domain structure wasn't worth it. I started fresh and had both domains existing seperately on the same network and just moved people over. Of course there were complications with this such as having to alter user profiles on user machines for the new domain (for mail, etc.). Anyway, I did not run into the problems you have listed here. I'm sure someone else will post up and help though. You picked the best Microsoft forum I've found yet.
                I would post this as a seperate topic if you haven't done so already.