• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCMan, access is denied

I have a Limted account, that when logging in, I get a small warning
    "SCMan, access is denied" followed by "Can't open Service Control
    Manager". If I change the account to an Administrator account I no
    longer get the warning. Any ideas of the cause and how to get rid of

It either the legitimate utility someone has installed into your startup folder, or it been put there by a virus.

Run a full virus\ adware\spyware scan.

If these do not solve your Issue check your startup folder, if you are on XP then use MSConfig to check run items.

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Originally posted by
      Filename: SCMan.exe

Name: SurfChoice

Description: SCMan is a utility that can control services on WinNT from the command line. This utility can create, start, pause, stop, delete services. Furthermore it can retrieve a service's current state, get the displayname for a service and vice versa

Recommendation: User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary

Recommended Software: AdwareAlert Spyware/Adware Scanner (Free Scan)
      Clean out your computer with AdwareAlert. It eliminates Pop-ups, Toolbars, BHOs and other pests that slow down your computer to a crawl. Some of these things may even spy on you. Unfortunately most antivirus software don't detect these. Download the Free scanner to find out if your computer is infected. Millions of people are already using AdwareAlert to defend their privacy, and stop those annoying ads.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **