Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domain controller replacement rebuild???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain controller replacement rebuild???

I have a quick question. I have a small 2003 network with two 2003 servers and 1 domain server along with several workstations.

I have a question if the domain controller died and was not backed up.

If I rebuilt the domain controller with the same name, ip, etc.. would I be able to reattach the other servers and workstations to the "new" domain controller - if they had never been removed from the original domain server when it went down?

I hope that makes sense. Any advice or refrences would be deeply appreciated.

Robert

Hiya

Things that need to be done:

1) Check that your surviving server has all the FSMO roles. If not, then you will need to seize them. IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure that your defunct DC is NEVER placed back on the network after seizing the FSMO roles.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

2) Rebuild new server. Recomend different netbios name and IP.
    3) Run DCPROMO on your new server to make it a domain controller.
    4) Run a Metadata cleanup to remove the records of the old server out of AD.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

5) Start backing up your Domain Controllers with NTBACKUP. Backup the system state on your DCs. This will give you more options done the track and the ability to recover if you lose both DCs.

Comment

Re: Domain controller replacement rebuild???

Originally posted by rmarlan
      If I rebuilt the domain controller with the same name, ip, etc.. would I be able to reattach the other servers and workstations to the "new" domain controller - if they had never been removed from the original domain server when it went down?
      I think what MrCaps was trying to say was No, this is not possible. All SID's etc would be completely different, best to take a system state backup, which is only small anyway.

topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
      X