No announcement yet.

Cannot remove duplicate administrator profiles

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot remove duplicate administrator profiles

I have 2 servers:
    A Primary DC (initially installed with Windows Server 2003, now SBS 2K3)
    A member server (Windows Server 2000).

I purchased Windows SBS 2003 to replace the evaluation version of Server 2003. (I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the OS)

The domain name I initially established was "". On reinstallation of the "Primary DC" with SBS 2003, I named the domain to "domain.local".

I then removed the W2K server from the domain (I received a system message saying that the administrator account could not be removed) and then readded the W2K server to the "domain.local" domain.

When I then logged into the W2K server, with the administrator name and password, it Windows created a new profile with administrator.domain.000 instead of using the administrator.domain profile which had been created when I had previously added the computer to the domain "".

I obviously did things in the wrong order leading to this mess. What I have now are 3 profiles:

Administrator (local)

I have searched the forums and cannot find a post related to this one.

What I would like:
    I would like to login as administrator and have it "associate" with the Administrator.domain profile.

I would also like to remove the Administrator.domain.000 profile.

I really hope someone can give me a solution!! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by animasana; 30th December 2008, 21:48.

Re: Cannot remove duplicate administrator profiles

How did you try to remove the profiles?

Right Click "My Computer", go to Properties
    Go to Advanced Tab and click the middle "Settings" button (in the User Profiles section)
    Select profile to delete and click Delete button
    If it doesnt delete, it'll be in use
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Hi Ossian

Thanks for your swift reply. I hadn't thought of a way to delete the profile, and I couldn't find anything online, hence my post.

I logged in as local admin and went to the profiles tab under My Computer, Properties. There were three admin profiles: LocalPc\Administrator, Domain\Administrator and Unknown\Administrator under the profiles tab.

I deleted the two domain profiles, logged out and then logged in as administrator under the domain. This solved the issue.

Its easy when you know -- Many thanks!!!

If the SID doesn't match you'll get a new profile.

The first time it will append the domain name, after that it will append three digits incrementing by one.

THe "User to profile" associations are stored in the registry under the following key:
          HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
          Under this key, you will find the SIDs of all users who ever logged on to the machine and have a profile attached.

In order to resolve the issue, you have to log on using an account which is not the Administrator, but is member of the Administrators group.
          Once you logged on, You should locate the Administrator SID under the registry key (which would end with 500) and then look at the ProfileImagePath value on the right pane.

You can change the path to whatever you need and logoff.
          Now, when you'll log on using the administrator account you will get your new profile.

BTW, before you do any of that, make sure you don't have any services which are using the Administrator account. In order to do that, simply open the services.msc and look at the 'Log On As' column.