moving domain to new hardware, <5 users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving domain to new hardware, <5 users

i need to migrate an SBS 2003 setup to new hardware, which is not something i have ever attempted. i have been looking around and many seem to favour swing migration but i have a few questions assuming the following..

the old server runs SBS 2003, the new one will run 2003 Standard Edition.
    the new server will have a different name to the SBS.
    there is only one DC currently, and the SBS server will be taken down and reused for other purposes (FreeNAS probably) so there will only be one DC again once everything is complete.
    services the SBS provides are really just AD and Exchange. the new one will provide WSUS and RRAS in addition to AD and Exchange.
    the domain has less than 5 users. only 2 even use the Exchange email accounts. and those accounts are accessed through IMAP.

i'm wondering how necessary in this case a 'full' migration is. in the past i have backed up emails with POP3 forwarding to a 3rd party service like gmail, and for this exercise i will probably use an IMAP gmail account to backup the 2 user's emails anyway, so rather than fiddle with mailboxes (which honestly, is not something i know a whole lot about) would i be just as well to simply copy back the gmail backup that i will take anyway?

other than that as i understand it, i would need to do the following

install the new server, add to my domain, run DCPROMO to elevate to DC
    use ntdsutil to transfer the domain to the new server? (i am still reading up on this step, may have questions later)
    simply turn off the SBS machine. do i need to de-elevate the DC role first?
    install exchange, setup IMAP and copy back the emails from gmail.

would this be a valid method? i do not have an organization of 20 or 100 users so for this scenario i'm hoping i can get it all working with perhaps not the simplest methods, but with methods i at least have some experience with.

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

edit:

my plan was to image the old SBS first, then go through the migration. if for any reason i need to go back to this starting point, but after the new server believes it is the one and only DC, will i have problems if i simply turn off the new server and restore to an image of the SBS? or will the client computers all expect the domain to live on the new server? is there a point of no return?
    Last edited by sentofuno; 30th December 2008, 11:52. Reason: point of no return

Re: moving domain to new hardware, &lt;5 users

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious as to how you can justify the expense of Windows Server, Exchange Server and the required CALs for so few users, when SBS will do what you need for far less? Especially as you already have the licence for SBS...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

because we have a stack of MAPS stuff just lying around, seems a waste not to use it. besides its a small number of users but a large number of client machines that the domain is useful for.

Comment

MAPS?

If you're using roaming profiles, I hope your users know to logoff from one machine before logging on to another if they don't want to risk losing files.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

microsoft action pack subscription - https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/400...=homeresources

apparently one of my colleagues signed up for it, but we never actually used most of the stuff they sent us. we have about 3 years worth of unused licenses..

Comment

Remember you must maintain your subscription to be allowed to use the MAPS software -- it is a licensing condition that you do so.

MAPS includes SBS (2003 and 2008 ) and it is probably easier to stick with this with your number of users, despite the temptation to use all the licenses. You could add a Server 2003 or 2008 box as a TS if you need to.
            Last edited by Ossian; 31st December 2008, 17:56.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yeah we need to reapply sometime in the next 60 days i think..

i've actually already installed the new server and elevated to DC, so it doesn't really matter about which license we use at this stage.

so back to the original question, can anyone help with the migration?

Comment

Originally posted by sentofuno View Post
                I would use Exmerge, or simply let your users read out an PST-file from their Outlook. It is faster than gmail, and would allow you to backup the calender and contacts, etc.
                Best regards,
                Carsten.

Comment

i need to migrate an SBS 2003 setup to new hardware, which is not something i have ever attempted.
                  I have done this 3 times, through the ASR backup.
                  Works perfectly, including Exchange and other third party software.
                  Remember to backup/restore the D: E: etc manually.
                  Regards,
                  SnijdeA.

Comment

thanks very much for the suggestions

it appears i cannot use ASR from 2003 SBS to 2003 Standard, it will not allow a restore from a different version of the OS

i will try a few methods including exmerge in some virtual machines and see how i get on. in the meantime, i would still appreciate some clarification on some points:

my plan was to image the old SBS first, then go through the migration. if for any reason i need to go back to this starting point, but after the new server believes it is the one and only DC, will i have problems if i simply turn off the new server and restore to an image of the SBS? or will the client computers all expect the domain to live on the new server? is there a point of no return?
                    1. until what stage is this process reversible?

other than that as i understand it, i would need to do the following

install the new server, add to my domain, run DCPROMO to elevate to DC
                    use ntdsutil to transfer the domain to the new server? (i am still reading up on this step, may have questions later)
                    simply turn off the SBS machine. do i need to de-elevate the DC role first?

would this be a valid method?
                    2. aside from the gmail part, would anyone agree or disagree on this plan? do i need to de-elevate the SBS as a DC? any other steps i should take?

thanks again for the suggestions, and any further advice on the two questions above would be very helpful

Comment

thanks very much for the suggestions

it appears i cannot use ASR from 2003 SBS to 2003 Standard, it will not allow a restore from a different version of the OS
                      Ah, sorry, I didn't read that.
                      Regards,
                      SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
                      X