Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary DNS Reload Issue

Hi,

I have 2 DNS Servers DNS1(Primary) and DNS2(Secondary).

I am able to do Zone transfer successfully However While reloading the Zone I am getting error Msg

"Zone ABC.com has expired before it could obtain a successful Zone transfer or update from a master server acting as its source for the Zone. The Zone has been Shut Down"

Checked the same in DNS Event Viewer Event ID 6527 is coming.

Please suggest how to get it resolved.

Re: Secondary DNS Reload Issue

What OS and SP?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is Windows Server 2003 with SP2 on both...!! Any Solution?

Comment

Originally posted by lisa804u View Post
        Hi,

I have 2 DNS Servers DNS1(Primary) and DNS2(Secondary).

I am able to do Zone transfer successfully However While reloading the Zone I am getting error Msg

"Zone ABC.com has expired before it could obtain a successful Zone transfer or update from a master server acting as its source for the Zone. The Zone has been Shut Down"

Checked the same in DNS Event Viewer Event ID 6527 is coming.

Please suggest how to get it resolved.
        Have you tried rebooting the dns server that originally hosted the zone, pre-transfer?

Originally posted by http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms855030.aspx
        Error Message:
        Zone name expired before it could obtain a successful zone transfer or update from a master server acting as its source for the zone. The zone has been shut down.

Explanation:
        The zone transfer failed to take place because the expiration time in the SOA record located on the primary server (the source of the zone information for a secondary server) expired. The primary server might be down.

User Action:
        Verify that the primary server is operating properly by pinging its IP address or using the nbtstat utility. If the primary server is off-line, the zone transfer cannot take place. When the primary server is restarted, all addresses included in the Notify list for the specified zone will be contacted and a zone transfer will take place automatically. If the secondary server's IP address is not configured in the Notify list, stop and restart the secondary DNS server. The secondary server will then poll the primary server for a zone transfer.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X