No announcement yet.

Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders

Hi All,

I was redirecting all my users Desktops and My Documents to a file server (server 2003). This file server needs to be decomissioned in the next couple of weeks. In the past the folder redirections were owned by the users and the administrator could not access their directories because they did not have permission.

I setup my new file server (server 2003) and reconfigured in group policy the new locations for folder redirection. I thought this would now be a good time to add the administrator ACL to the folder redirections so I could explore the contents of the folders in the future. I followed this guide here and the folders are beiing redirected to the new server but I still cannot access these folders unless I take ownership which is a bit messy when i have 400+ users. Anyone got any ideas or know of another way to do this?

Thanks Craig

Re: Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders

I assume you use the 'Folder Redirection' group policy extention (Under User Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Folder Redirection).
    In order to fix your problem you should take the following steps:
    1. Open you Group Policy Object, go to the properties of the redirected folder you configured, go to the 'Settings' tab and clear the 'Grant the user exclusive rights to...' checkbox.
    2. Next, make sure you configured full access to the 'Administrators' group under the root folder. Do no propogate the permissions because you will override all existing permissions.
    3. In order to fix the security on the existing problem, I recommend using the AdminAllow tool (available at

Anyhow, the Folder Redirection Group Policy Extention is not very stable and might cause long logon delays (Especially on Terminal Server environment).
    The paths to the Special Folders exist in the following registry key:
    1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

You can write a simple ADM file that sets the configuration of your folder. It works much better. I used it in many organizations when optimizing Terminal Server Farms.

If you're having troubles writing the ADM, you can contact me by mail and I'll send it to you. [email protected] (Email Address Removed by Mod)

Last edited by ahinson; 30th December 2008, 00:21.