• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enquiry on Functional level

Hi all,

Hope someone can solve my confuse.

Currently my company environment is Single Forest Single Domain,
    Forest Functional level is Windows 2000,
    Domain Functional Level is Windows 2000 Native.

1. If I need to raise the Forest Functional Level to Windows 2003, is it necessary to raise Domain Functional Level?

2. If I raise the Domain Functional Level, am I need to raise in every DC?

3. Any effect to others member servers (File server, SQL server) if I raise Functional level?

4. Currently I have external trust with another Domain (Windows Server 2000), Is that any effect if I raise the Functional level?

Re: Enquiry on Functional level

Originally posted by kynixtanls View Post
    2. If I raise the Domain Functional Level, am I need to raise in every DC?
    No - for a domain-wide operation, you only need to make the change on one DC of the domain. The change will be replicated to any other DCs.

3. Any effect to others member servers (File server, SQL server) if I raise Functional level?
    There should not be any effect to member servers as long as the operating systems concerned are suitable for the raised level. What OS are you running - you didn't specify that.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

The answers in short if you meet the criteria to rise the functional level:

1- No if the domain level is in mixed mode and yes if its in windows 2000 native (All the DC)
      2- No
      3- No
      4- No

Have a look at these for more info:

http://www.petri.com/understanding_f...ws_2003_ad.htm

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322692
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

1. If I need to raise the Forest Functional Level to Windows 2003, is it necessary to raise Domain Functional Level?
        Forest level cannot be higher then your domain levels.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          There should not be any effect to member servers as long as the operating systems concerned are suitable for the raised level. What OS are you running - you didn't specify that.
          Some of the member servers are Windows 2000.
          There have 1 more question is when I raise the Function level to pure Windows 2003. Will it affect those server not as DC(Windows Server 2000)?

Comment

Functional Level only relates to Domain Controllers and does not affect Member Servers.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Functional Level only relates to Domain Controllers and does not affect Member Servers.
              Thanks.

If I have trust with other Domain (Windows Server 2000), once I raise the Functional Level to Windows Server 2003.
              Will it any affect?

Comment

Thanks.

If I have trust with other Domain (Windows Server 2000), once I raise the Functional Level to Windows Server 2003.
                Will it any affect?
                As I already mentioned, It shouldn't affect it. External trusts don't use any forest or domain functional level.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                  As I already mentioned, It shouldn't affect it. External trusts don't use any forest or domain functional level.
                  Thanks for you help.

Comment

Working...
                  X