Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard reboot

Hello,

I've just had to hard reboot a server because a well know backup application caused the server to completely crash due to a faulty backup device. I could not log on via RDP or the console. The server did not respond to PStools or MMC snap-ins so I couldn't even stop any services. The server was responding to pings.

Is there anything else you can do in this scenario to get a clean reboot or at least stop database services?

Re: Hard reboot

Did you try to login to the server instead of RDP?
    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Comment

Originally posted by mohanmathew View Post
      Yes - he stated "I could not log on via RDP or the console."

@Rednet, in situations like this there is really very little you can do to recover a crashed OS. Did the cursor move on the screen if you moved the mouse?

On a non-production system I would maybe try enabling Telnet * and seeing if I could login that way following the crash... but I'm guessing that this is a production server, and besides you have probably already replaced the faulty hardware.

* Do not enable Telnet on production servers. It is insecure and easily broken into.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks, yes the mouse was still moving on a grey screen, no Ctrl+Alt+Del. It hadn't crashed to that level i.e. freeze or blue screen. I just wondered if anyone knew of some other way.

Comment

I would rather fix the issue to find a way around it.
          But is the box still responding on RPC?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The only other thing I'd try was the shutdown.exe command, but at a grey screen like that I've never had anything other than a hard reset work. 99 times out of 100 it's the server trying to auto-restart after updates that I've seen cause it. Haven't seen a backup app cause it. Yet......
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Out of interest, what was this well-known backup app?
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by mohanmathew View Post
                I mean try to login to the server locally. If the server is in any DC, ask DC technician to have look into that and request them to stop the services that may cause problems.
                Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                MCITP [AD]

Comment

Working...
                X