schtasks returns network path was not found

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schtasks returns network path was not found

When using the schtasks command line interface I get the error - Network path was not found - returned from some Windows 2003 servers but not others.

Test environment:

Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 - Domain Controller (svr1)
    Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 - Domain Member (svr2)

Executed on svr1:

schtasks /query /s svr1
    schtasks /query /s svr2

Both return the tasks list for the relevant server.

Executed on svr2:

schtasks /query /s svr1 - returns Netork path not found
    schtasks /query /s svr2 - returns correct tasks list

Direct access to the tasks folder works fine on both servers. For example:

\\svr1\C$\windows\tasks executed on svr2 opens the folder. The tasks can then be edited.

After a lot of trolling through blogs from all over, I can find nothing which seems to relate to this issue?

I find the same sort of random result in two different production networks with a mixture of AD DCs and member servers. There seems to be no common factor.

Using filemon I have identified only one difference between the processing on the two test servers.

svr1 (the one that works) references pwdssp.dll and then kerberos.dll for security whilst svr2 at the same stage references pwdssp.dll and the mswsock.dll and then heads off into the winsock stack.

That is getting rather deep into the network nuts and bolts and may be unrealted?

Anyone seen this before?

Better still anyone solved the problem>

Re: schtasks returns network path was not found

Found it! Although I'm not sure how I missed it in the first place?

Seems some years ago someone had a the idea that removing the registry entry for the Scheduled Tasks share -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D627 7990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

was a good idea to speed up Network browsing!

This got added to a standard registry script for server builds.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCox View Post
      Found it! Although I'm not sure how I missed it in the first place?
      Not sure how you missed it? I'm not sure how you found it! That seems so obscure to me. How did you track that down?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

It was a comment on a discussion on how to disbale the Scheduled Tasks share. That posting was talking about things that could be disabled in the interests of performance.

Checked my servers and yes we had done this years ago and until recently had no need to for remote execution of Scheduled Tasks.

Comment

Working...
        X