Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2003 file server

Hi andrew,

I thought you guys can help me with my deployment. I have been using XP pro for a long time but have no experience with win server.

we have recently purchased a dell pe 2850. We are a small group(25) in our company and all of us have our own win XP pro/home PCs. Our goal is to provide every member in our group an uid/passwd and a folder on this new server to store their stuff. This way they can store/access all their files from the server like a share from any machine in the building.

All the machines get their ips from DHCP(run for the whole building) managed by the company. Now I have the following questions:

1) Is this possible by creating a simple WORKGROUP ? Does this workgroup setting allow for user authentication while accesing the server ?

2) Or do we need to make this server a domain controller and set up active directory for allowing users to logon to this machine ??

Thanks a lot for any help.

You need to setup your Server with Active Directory single central authentication.

You could just have gthe server in the workgroup but then you would need to create local accoutns on the server for each user, which would meanyou have 2 accoutns for each user to maintain, and the passwords would not keep in sync.

It's also worth noting that any XP home machines cannot be part of your Domain if you decide to go that way.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

>You need to setup your Server with Active Directory single central >authentication.
      If I go this way, shud I set the server as a domain controller and active directory server. Also how about the DNS for this ? Can I do this on this machine or will there b any complications with the organozations DNS ??
      Also all the user machines are their personal machines.(say all of them have xp pro). In this way, I guess if they need to access the server they would need to use logon to domain instead of local machine at startup time ??

>You could just have gthe server in the workgroup but then you would >need to create local accoutns on the server for each user, which would >meanyou have 2 accoutns for each user to maintain, and the passwords >would not keep in sync.
      Two passwords would be fine. But will the server authenticate the user when they try to access their folder on the server ?? Or will it just use the local machine logon username for authentication ?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes you can have DNS on the same DC, that is not a problem, and yes they authenticate onto the domain rather than the local machine.

If you had the server in a workgroup then they would logon onto the local machine, try and connect to a share on the server, have to enter another username and password, which would be cached until they logged off the local machine.

topper

Comment

>If you had the server in a workgroup then they would logon onto the local machine, try and connect to a share on the server, have to enter another username and password, which would be cached until they logged off the local machine.

Are you sure they would need to enter a username and password to connect to a share on the server ???? If so that would be a very asy solution for me.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Yes, the local credentials do not apply to the server so they would need to enter credential which the server can understand and confirm (i.e. a local account on the server).

Comment

>Yes, the local credentials do not apply to the server so they would need to enter credential which the server can understand and confirm (i.e. a local account on the server).

Thanks a lot. I will go with this for now. Also how do I make use of the dual Gigabit ethernet ports on the server ?? I mean since they will have two different IPs how to make use of those to speed up the server bandwidth ??

Comment

Workstations

Another important note is what happens when you add the XP Pro machines to the domain. A new profile will be created on the workstation for the domain user. In order to retain the original profile settings (desktop, email settings, etc), the old profile will have to be copied to the new one.

Comment

Firstly you need a switch which can handle gigbit ethernet, do you have this ?

If so just plug in one connection, not much point in using both NIC's.

topper

Comment

If it's a standard Dell setup on the server, then the network card utility will allow you to 'team' these cards. This results in a single IP, bonded connection of 2 gigabit (althought you obviously still need to plug both cables into a gigabit switch port each).

Comment

In my opinion, you will be much happier (and so will your users) if you set up your network as a domain, installing Active Directory. Installing Active Directory is not difficult BUT you should really take some time, do some research and plan your network out before just installing Active Directory and building your file server. Some good points have been made already, if you decide to use Active Directory, you WILL have to upgrade your XP Home machines to XP Pro. I personally wouldn't worry to much about the gigabit nic right now. It is very unlikely that on a 25 user network that you will max out your current switch (most likely at 100Mbps) and you can always upgrade in the future if you need the extra bandwidth.

Lastly, as a new partner on MCSEworld, I would like to help you out with your Active Directory problem and offer you a free copy of our Active Directory training at:

http://www.trainsignal.com/meglab1creat.html

This course will walk you through the details of installing, configuring and managing your Active Directory, step-by-step. Just email me your shipping address at the email address below. I will verify your userid with Daniel to make sure that the right person gets the training.

Good Luck,

Scott
                      Train Signal - IT Training Products

888-229-5055 or 847-776-8800

TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products

Comment

WOW, nice!!
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment