SRV records disappear from DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRV records disappear from DNS

I am having a strange issue. I have a new domain with a single DC that is the DNS server. There are no other servers or workstations on the domain yet, only a couple Linux machines (this is a test domain right now that will become live soon). The problem I am having is that every couple weeks or so all the SRV records and contents of the _msdcs.mydomain.com zone disappear and I have to run netdiag /fix to get them back. i do not see any errors in the logs that would point to the cause of this. The only thing that I can think of is this started happening shortly after I enabled RRAS on the server. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: SRV records disappear from DNS

Hi,

I think you might have your hands full after enabling RRAS on a DC.
    Does that mean that you have configured another network adaptor in there as well?
    Have a look at this article regarding possible issues with multihomed DCs.
    (Don't be put off by the title because the contents might be quite relevant to your situation)
    There is an MS article linked in there regarding RRAS enabled on a DC.

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg01151.html

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Most likey scavenging is purging these records because they are not being refreshed. Netlogon is supposed to refresh all the records every 24 hours.

Is scavenging enabled for that zone?

Comment

Scavenging is indeed enabled. So I need to disable it to stop this from happening?

Comment

That's a workaround but you need to find out why Netlogon is not refreshing its records.

Comment

I agree with Green, disabling the scavenging is not where you should focus your energy on, you should try and figure out why your Netlogon fails to refresh the SRV records.
            is there any chance that you configured your DC to point to a DNS other then itself as an addition DNS server?
            Is it possible you got two NICs on your DC that one of them might not have an IP configured and is not Disabled?

Comment

Working...
            X