Urgent help please - on file access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help please - on file access

I have taken ownership of folder as administrator, but I am facing the problem of not able to open file it says (excel cannot open the file its either read only or encrypted.

What do I need to do to open these files??

read only will not stop you opening a file, so I am guessing that someone has encrypted to file\folder with the local EFS.

Open the file or unencrypt the file with the account used to encrypt it in the first place, otherwise use the data recovery agent on the machine, with the appropriate certificate..........that is of course if you created one.

topper.
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

help required urgently

Dear,

I do not have the data recovery program, except normal VeritasBackup exec 8.6.

I do not understand the instruction you have given.

thanks.

Comment

The data recovery agent is not a program, it's a local user account (usually Administrator), which has a data recovery certificate applied against it.

This account can decrypt files\folders that have been encrypted by someone else. The easiest way is still to logon as the user which encrypted the files in the first place.

topper

Comment

help required urgently

Dear,

Can you please give me the procedure to do the decryption.

Thanks.

Comment

are you the network\pc admin ?

Comment

follow this,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...prot.mspx#EJAA

but by the sounds of it you didn't create a DRA before the file\folder was encrypted so the recovery agent key was not included in the encryption header. I don't think it's possible to create an agent afterwards and then decrypt...............that would make the entire EFS system pointless and easily compromiseable.

Like I've said before, logon as the user who encrypted ths files, if this user has been deleted then I guess it's time to make some serious policy changes !!!

topper.

Comment

Working...
              X