Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSCSI swap between 2003 & 2000 Server

Hi to all.... i have a huge prob!!!

The new Storage (Promise VTrak e610f) is up and running.

unfortunatly the old Storage is down. And it did not give me any time to backup the Old Storage (VTrak 15200). It was attatcht to a Old Windows Server 2000. We tried to get the System running but the System will not start + a Hdd in the RAID array is Damaged and the rebuild did not work!

What i want to do:
    I would like to attatch the old Storage (VTrak 15200) to a HP ProLiant DL380 G5 via RJ24 in Gigabit, using the ISCSI protocol (following this article http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=12cb3c1a-15d6-4585-b385-befd1319f825&DisplayLang=en ) to access the old Storage - to then transfer all the data to the new one (VTrak e610f)

is this possible? can i just disconect the storage from the crashed windows 2k server and reatatch it to any other server without loosing my partitions, filesystem and data.

i think that i will loose all the file permissions, even though the filesystem is a NTFS. But that would be OK. important is to access and use the Data asap (as soon as possible).

i would be thankfull for a quick answer.
    kind regards.
    take care
    Riccardo.

Re: iSCSI swap between 2003 & 2000 Server

Originally posted by RiDaLo View Post
    unfortunatly the old Storage is down. And it did not give me any time to backup the Old Storage (VTrak 15200)
    What happened to the backups you took before the old system crashed? You should be able to recover from those.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Good Morning!

it was a 4TB Storage, all the Backup was on there.. the Admin of the Network was even smart enough to storage all the Ghost's of the Win2k Server on that storage...

I solved the problem.

To simply answer this question, yes we can. The VTrak can connect to almost any Gigabit port and using Microsoft ISCSI initiator you should be able to mount your old LD on your new server and transfer your data to your new VTrak. You will need to find Microsoft initiator 1.06 ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en ) anything newer like 2.00 or 2.07 will not work with this VTrak.

all the data, filesystem, partitions even permissions and data where sucseffuly saved

Thanks.

Riccardo

Comment

Thanks for posting back. Now that you have access to your data again, sounds like it's time to review your backup strategy
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X