Can't reserve IP for specific Mac address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't reserve IP for specific Mac address

Machine: Windows 2000 Member Server + DHCP Server.

When I add the MAC address 00014a84c621 for reserved at DHCP server, it appears message that "no specified address" (translate from chinese text).

But when I add MAC address other than 00014a84c621 such as 00014a84c623, it can be added successfully.

How can I troubleshoot or fix this problem?

Thanks.

Re: Can't reserve IP for specific Mac address

Do you have SP4 and other updates installed? I can't reproduce this.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You need to add the HOSTNAME along with the MAC for it to stick.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakEye View Post
        You need to add the HOSTNAME along with the MAC for it to stick.
        Not sure this is correct i'm afraid.

OP,

Are you adding an IP address correctly when your doing adding this reservation???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Not sure this is correct i'm afraid.
          Yes and no... you do have to specify the hostname, but if you leave it blank you get a different error message. The indication from the OP is that this not the problem.
          Last edited by gforceindustries; 16th December 2008, 00:15.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Yes and no... you do have to specify the hostname, but if you leave it blank you get a different error message. The indication from the OP is that this not the problem.
            To batten this down once and for all - you must specify a hostname. It does NOT have to match the name of the host... NETBIOS or DNS. The IP address is reserved against the MAC address used by the device and the host name in the reservation is used to automatically register an "A" record in DNS where such is supported; so it is HELPFUL if it matches the name of the device.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Actually it doesn't ask for any host name anywhere when your setting it up.

It does ask for a Reservation Name which can be anything you want it to be, i have to agree with Stonelaughter and use the DNS name for the device, and a description which again can be anything you like.

Comment

Absolutely correct. Sorry for the error in my last post, bit of a stressful night so far... seems we can't proceed with the planned work at the sister company as there is... "doubt" over their licencing status.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Still can't fix the problem. Only MAC address 00014a84c621 can't be added. This server is sp4 applied. Other mac address is no problem. Hostname can be any name and it will be updated to correct hostname when that device obtain the specific IP address.

Anyway, I give up as the user will change a new notebook with new Mac address later. So strange.

Comment

Working...
                  X