win2k ad server dns cnfiguration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k ad server dns cnfiguration

I have one server with windows 2000 advace server/20 windows xp system/1 adsl router

i was installed server but aftr configration of active directory and dns server

i am facing problem to client side,that any client system not conecting to internet.from client side i was configured as below,

IP ADDRESS:192.168.1.20
    DEFAULT GATWAY :192.168.1.1

PRIMARY DNS:192.168.1.222(LOCAL SERVERS ADDRESS)
    ALLTERNATE DNS:218.248.240.134(ISP DNS ADDRESS)

IS HERE ANY SETTING NEED TO DO?

Re: win2k ad server dns cnfiguration

Not much detail given...

Configure your system like this:

ADSL router connects to one NIC on the server. The other server NIC connects to the office LAN. The office LAN does not connect to the ADSL router. Setup RRaS on the server to use NAT (takes 30 seconds to setup). Point your clients to use the server as DNS and Default Gateway. You will need to configure DNS forwarders on the server.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

First remove the ISPs DNS server IP from your clients and servers alternate DNS entry, then open the DNS server on your 2000 server box and open forward lookup zones. If you have a full stop as a zone you need to delete it. Then open the properties of the server and look for "forwarders". This is where you want to put the DNS server IP addresses given by your ISP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291382
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

thanks it works andy

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Not much detail given...

Configure your system like this:

ADSL router connects to one NIC on the server. The other server NIC connects to the office LAN. The office LAN does not connect to the ADSL router. Setup RRaS on the server to use NAT (takes 30 seconds to setup). Point your clients to use the server as DNS and Default Gateway. You will need to configure DNS forwarders on the server.
          thanks for this tips

One of the my system installed with windows xp sp2, some time this system not conect with my domain, each and every time i need down that system on workgroup and then raised to domain what will i do with this system

Comment

Use DHCP - set the relevant options. Eg option 3 "Router" is the default gateway". There are also options for the DNS and WINS servers etc. So everytime a machine connects to your network, it will automatically have the DNS, WINS and default gateway set through DHCP when it is assigned an IP address.

You can set these options at the server level, scope level, or at the reservation level if you reserve IP addresses for anything.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X