Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DNS errors

    Hello,

    I get the folowwing messages in my event viewer:

    Event ID: 4515
    The zone wsgnl.com was previously loaded from the directory partition MicrosoftDNS but another copy of the zone has been found in directory partition DomainDnsZones.wsgnl.com. The DNS Server will ignore this new copy of the zone. Please resolve this conflict as soon as possible.

    This message is on both my DC's.

    I think the best thing is to build the DNS up again!!!

    But what steps must I take!
    Goal is to have 1 DC to handle the DNS request and test the clients speed to connect to this DC. If the speed is correct then configure the second DNS to handle DNS request for redudantie.

    Thx in advance




  • #2
    Re: DNS errors

    Hi,

    Have a look at this for a possible solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867464
    Caesar's cipher - 3

    ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

    SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DNS errors

      Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      Hi,

      Have a look at this for a possible solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867464

      thx L4ndy,

      I Have 1 domain with two dc's where DNS is installed.
      When I look in the DNS - Forward Lookup Zones - Domain.com properties - general - Replication: the setting is: to all domain controllers in the Active Directory domain domain.com.

      When i choose for to all DNS servers in the AD domain domain.com i get the folowwing message: the name limit for the local computer network adapter card was exceeded.

      I found a post on the Internet that says:
      If you have a duplicate, that's telling me that there is a zone that exists
      in the DomainNC and in the DomainDnsZones Application partition. This means
      at one time, or currently, you have a mixed Win2000/2003 environment and you have DNS installed on both operating systems. On Win2000, if the zone is AD Integrated, it is in the DomainNC, and should be set the same in Win2003's DC/DNS server to keep compatible.

      I had a Windows 2000 AD but i migrate it to a windows 2003 domain.
      Both DC's in my domain are Windows 2003 Servers.

      My question is can i solve the problem with the following solution:
      ADSI Edit: add the DomainNC partition in order to delete that zone.
      Uninstall DNS first off the Win2000 server first, unless you want to keep the zone in the DomainNC. --> I have no Windows 2000 Servers

      When i Look in ADSI Edit - Domain - CN=System - CN=MicrosoftDNS - DC=domain.com i see my zone.
      Can I delete this and then change the replication to all DNS Servers in AD domain domain.com.

      I think that ID 4515 will be solved is that correct.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DNS errors

        Is there somebody that could have a look at my DNS problem!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DNS errors

          Originally posted by mvdv View Post
          Is there somebody that could have a look at my DNS problem!
          Lets be realistic here bud, most of us on this site (if not all) are volunteers and do this as a hobby and to help out others.

          What steps have you taken to resolve this issue???

          Have you tried here??

          http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...ce=DNS&phase=1

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DNS errors

            Originally posted by mvdv View Post
            thx L4ndy,

            I Have 1 domain with two dc's where DNS is installed.
            When I look in the DNS - Forward Lookup Zones - Domain.com properties - general - Replication: the setting is: to all domain controllers in the Active Directory domain domain.com.

            When i choose for to all DNS servers in the AD domain domain.com i get the folowwing message: the name limit for the local computer network adapter card was exceeded.

            I found a post on the Internet that says:
            If you have a duplicate, that's telling me that there is a zone that exists
            in the DomainNC and in the DomainDnsZones Application partition. This means
            at one time, or currently, you have a mixed Win2000/2003 environment and you have DNS installed on both operating systems. On Win2000, if the zone is AD Integrated, it is in the DomainNC, and should be set the same in Win2003's DC/DNS server to keep compatible.

            I had a Windows 2000 AD but i migrate it to a windows 2003 domain.
            Both DC's in my domain are Windows 2003 Servers.

            My question is can i solve the problem with the following solution:
            ADSI Edit: add the DomainNC partition in order to delete that zone.
            Uninstall DNS first off the Win2000 server first, unless you want to keep the zone in the DomainNC. --> I have no Windows 2000 Servers

            When i Look in ADSI Edit - Domain - CN=System - CN=MicrosoftDNS - DC=domain.com i see my zone.
            Can I delete this and then change the replication to all DNS Servers in AD domain domain.com.

            I think that ID 4515 will be solved is that correct.
            Since your DNS replication scope is currently set to "All DC in the Domain" then follow the Option 3 on the KB article I provided.
            Firstly, before deleting any partitions make sure you do have dublicate partitions as it can't be reversible.

            Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

            ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

            SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

            Comment

            Working...
            X