How To Use Application Sharing Component of Terminal Server in W2K3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Use Application Sharing Component of Terminal Server in W2K3

Hello this is my first post on this forum, and I hope it will be an appropriate question to ask. I have recently taken up study for the 70-290 Microsoft exam, and whilst trying out the Terminal Services features within W2K3, I have come upon a basic question re the 'application sharing' component of Terminal Services, namely how can it actually be used by client computers to run up a 'shared application' on the Terminal Server computer ?

I am aware of the Remote Desktop Connection client program available on Windows client machines, and how to use it to open up a session on the Terminal Server computer. This can be done without installing the 'Terminal Services' component within Control Panel, and a maximum of 2 connections are then allowed. More connections are allowed if the Terminal Services component is installed. Using RDC in the above way I can run applications on the Terminal Server, but I am not clear if this constitutes 'Application Sharing', as there are seperate instances of the application (eg I tried MS Word as an example application), one for each session.

So what is 'Application Sharing' actually referring to, and how is it set up on a client? I have installed MS Word on the Terminal Server, via Control Panel, to ensure it is installed in 'multi-user mode'. I am just not clear what 'multi-user mode' actually means - am I looking for something too complicated here, ie. is it simply running apps on the Terminal Server via the RDC client ?

I had in mind an icon set up on the client, which when clicked loads the shared application into the client's memory, and executes it. Any other clients can do the same. And there is only one installation of the shared application, ie on the Terminal Server. What am I missing here ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: How To Use Application Sharing Component of Terminal Server in W2K3

In Server 2003, there are two terminal services modes:
    Remote Admin (no licensing required, but 2 connections maximum)
    Application Sharing (licensing required, connections limited by licenses -- and server hardware)
    In both cases, the end user gets the desktop of the terminal server.

Server 2008 has a "Remote App" mode where users think they are running an application locally by double clicking on an icon, but it is actually running on the terminal server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Server 2008 has a "Remote App" mode where users think they are running an application locally by double clicking on an icon, but it is actually running on the terminal server
      I guess that's similar to forwarding X over SSH?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

In Server 2003, there are two terminal services modes:
        Remote Admin (no licensing required, but 2 connections maximum)
        Application Sharing (licensing required, connections limited by licenses -- and server hardware)
        In both cases, the end user gets the desktop of the terminal server.

Thank you for reply Ossian. Are these two modes of TS both accessed the same way, ie. via the Remote Desktop Connection client (mstsc.exe) ? This is how I understand it from what I know so far.

I also wondered what happens regarding built-in W2K3 applications such as Notepad, MS Paint, Explorer, Internet Explorer, MMC snap-ins etc when TS is installed onto W2K3. Are these automatically converted to 'multi-user mode' when TS is installed, and converted back to single-user mode if TS is subsequently uninstalled ? For, other applications, eg MS Word, have to be installed using Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs, or by using the commands 'change user /install', or 'change user /execute', to ensure they are in 'multi-user' mode.

Is this multi-user mode also used by XP Home, for example, which has a 'Switch User' facility, which allow multiple users to remain logged in simultaneously, and potentially running the same application (although only one can be using the computer at a time, but with the apps remaining open in all the others).

Thank you again for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by Noe View Post
          Thank you for reply Ossian. Are these two modes of TS both accessed the same way, ie. via the Remote Desktop Connection client (mstsc.exe) ? This is how I understand it from what I know so far.
          Absolutely correct

Pass on the others!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Absolutely correct

Pass on the others!
            Thanks, I get the general idea now!

Comment

Working...
            X