No announcement yet.

Time to upgrade network to 2003 SP2 R2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to upgrade network to 2003 SP2 R2?

Currently our network is 2003 Standard SP2, fully patched of course. Just got a new backup server in, and it came with 2003 (Storage I think) SP2 R2. Do we have to upgrade the rest of the network to R2 (or adprep?) to add this server to the domain?

We've been hearing different things, so I thought I'd ask you all
    Last edited by Wired; 7th December 2008, 03:54.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Time to upgrade network to 2003 SP2 R2?

Is it to be a member server or a DC?

One of the companies I work with has an SBS 2003 domain, with a 2003 R2 member server and they occasionally setup 2008 member servers to test things out (several staff members have MSDN licences to play with). If it's just a member server, you don't need to do anything to the schema.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Just a member server. Kewl, we were right, they were wrong
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Charge yer tazer and invite them in for a little chat.

Ok, so I'm feeling bitter. I've been staring at Windows setup screens for the last 13 hours. Why isn't there a criminal insanity smiley on here?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Even if your server was a Windows 2008 member server you still don't need things like adprep.
          You should only consider things like AD prep when you are going to work with AD, so with DC's

With the exception with products as Exchange which has quite a few shema extensions (think about the user attributes)
          Last edited by Dumber; 7th December 2008, 11:28.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
          X