2003 Server - DHCP PXE Issue - HELP PLZZZZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Server - DHCP PXE Issue - HELP PLZZZZ

Ok ive been in desktop supprt for a while, but dont really have a clue about servers , so if i do or ask any slly questions then i apologise in advance
    I have followed this guide ... http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...dows_2003.html

I have 1 Server running windows 2003 r2 enterprise edition with sp2, and 3 worstations, 1 pc and a 2 laptops.
    The frst thing i am basicaly attempting to do is....
    I have a image of my laptop which is created in ghost. I would like to copy this image on the server and boot the laptop off network (pxe?) so it pushes out the image via WDS - Windows Deployment Service.
    I understand to do this i need to confgure DHCP on the server, SO when a workstation is connected it will lease a ip for it to connect to network.

What i hav done so far is :

DNS set up as home.loc
    dcpromo run and ad setup
    Confgured DHCP on the server to lease ip address's ranging from :
    192.168.1.2 > 192.168.1.10 (excluding 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.5)

Server is 192.168.1.3
    2nd nic in server is 168.254.... (auto config)
    Laptop which is currently connected via wireless is 192.168.1.5

I have a Wireless linksys router , with 4 available ports.
    Server has 2 NICs,
    Cable Modem connects to Linksys router > router connects to server

I have read that i may need to disable my routers dhcp settings, so the server can take full control. Is this correct?
    Should i plug a cable from a workstation i want to build into the 2nd NIC on the server? or connect it to one of the free ports on the linksys router?
    I have spent a few days messing around with it, and i just cannot get dhcp to provide a ip lease when attempting to boot laptop off the network.

Can some one please explain to me what the best method i should use to achieve my 1st aim of being able to boot from PXE and install a ghost image.

Thanks

Re: 2003 Server - DHCP PXE Issue - HELP PLZZZZ

Yes, you should disable the DHCP function of your router. You should plug the workstation inot a port on the router. You can't deploy a ghost image with WDS. You'll have to use the Ghost "multicast" function or use a WDS image. You could also use Acronis which has a PXE based component to deploy Acronis images.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Yes, you should disable the DHCP function of your router. You should plug the workstation inot a port on the router. You can't deploy a ghost image with WDS. You'll have to use the Ghost "multicast" function or use a WDS image. You could also use Acronis which has a PXE based component to deploy Acronis images.
      Thanks for your prompt reply.

I disabled the DHCP function on my router, but still cannot get my laptop to connect via PXE from boot up.

Is there anything else i need to ammend on my router settings?

Comment

Do you have a PXE server running?

Comment

Is the laptop showing up in the DHCP server as having been assigned an IP address?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Do you have a PXE server running?
            errm im going to say no.

I have a netboot floppy disk which has a menupref.bat which i have ammended to read :

REM The Menu Program reads/writes to this file
            REM *** Do not change the order of the commands in this batch file. (Or the Position
            of the equal signs!) ***
            rem NETCARD=EL3c574
            Set WORKGROUP=DomainName
            Set USERNAME=MyUserName
            :::Set PASSWORD=
            Set DISABLEDHCP=0
            Set IPADDRESS0=192 168 0 123
            Set SUBNETMASK0=255 255 255 0
            Set DEFAULTGATEWAY0=192 168 0 254
            Set LOGONSCRIPT=
            rem TIMEOUT=20
            Set DNS=192 168 0 253
            Set WKSTN=BD1766474
            Set PACKET=1
            Set DNSENABLE=1
            Set MOUSE=1
            Set REDIRECTOR=Basic
            Set NTFS=0
            Set CD=0
            Set UDMA=0
            Set WINS=192 168 0 252

Once it loads to RAM, it attempts to get a IP lease from DHCP but fails.

Similiar to if i select laptop to boot from NIC, i get a message stating failed to obtain DHCP IP address.

Comment

Boot your laptop into whatever OS is currently installed on there (or from a Linux live CD if there isn't an OS installed) and see if you can get an IP address once in there. I've seen some machines fail to get an IP address for PXE boot before, never did find any explanation for it other than pinning it on a dodgy motherboard.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Slightly
                Just a reminder, with the default security, Server 2003 will not talk to a DOS session (http://www.netbootdisk.com/win2003.htm), although there should be no problem obtaining an IP address
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Can you provide a bit more info on how far have you gone with configuring the WDS?
                  FYI WDS uses PXE provider and acts as a PXE server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc726548.aspx

Also can you make sure DHCP is Authorised.

For more info on creating images with WDS: http://robwhitehouse.com/windows/win...ment-services/

Ta
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Have you setup WDS on the server yet? For PXE boot to work you need to have DHCP option 60 PXE Boot Client configured, which WDS can do automatically for you during setup. Otherwise your PXE client will not be able to boot.

You can manually add this option to your DHCP server as well. Simply and you'll get loads of hits.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X