Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS updates vs Windows Updates website

Hi,

I am using Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory. I have recently installed WSUS 3.0 to manage updates on the network. I have told WSUS to download all updates for Windows XP and for Office 2003, and created a GPO to manage the clients.

WSUS has now downloaded 787 updates, by scanning through them, I can see that there are many which do not apply to our network machines.

If I approve all updates through WSUS for a test group, the machines that I add to that group receive a different set of updates to when I point them straight to the Windows update site. For example, the Windows update website always recommends that I install XP SP3 first, then installs all remaining updates.

When I use WSUS (all updates approved), a totally different set of updates are approved for install, about 45, but this does not include SP3.

Can anyone tell me why there is a difference?

Thanks

Nick

Re: WSUS updates vs Windows Updates website

I believe XP SP3 has been made available through WSUS.
    Maybe you need to check the Products and Classifications from the Options page.
    In there you can select the Products you want to receive updates for (ie Exchange, Vista etc) and Classifications (ie Service packs, Drivers, etc).

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      I believe XP SP3 has been made available through WSUS
      Certainly has, and quite some time ago too.

This is a very dumbed down explanation of how it works, from what I understand to be the inner mechanics of WSUS.

1) You approve a stack of updates through WSUS.

2) A machine queries WSUS and is given a set of updates to install. This may or may not be all of the available updates which have been approved - some may not yet have been downloaded to the server, others may have prerequisites not yet installed.

3) That set is advertised to the computer, and no other updates will be until the computer has installed that set.

There may be some exceptions to this pattern, however what I have observed in general supports this theory.

Originally posted by nickc1976 View Post
      WSUS has now downloaded 787 updates, by scanning through them, I can see that there are many which do not apply to our network machines
      WSUS will download all of the updates that you tell it to download, regardless of whether there are any machines on your network that need them. Once approved however, they will only be advertised to machines that need them.
      Last edited by gforceindustries; 4th December 2008, 14:06.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I can get around this by creating a group in wsus, and only approving sp3 for that group. Once cleints are updated, I can then approve all the other updates, and those that are relevant are installed.

For some reason sp3 never installs itself if it is approved in bulk with all the other updates.

Comment

Is this a different issue because for the original post you could not get SP3 at all?
          If so can you please post how you resolved the first issue as it will benefit other people with the same problem.

Ta
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

To begin with, I couldn't get wsus to install sp3 on the clients. Wsus was downloading it and I could see it listed along with the 786 other updates.

When I approved ALL updates for install, sp3 didn't install on the clients, 42 other updates did, but sp3 wasn't one fo them.

If I create a new computer group in wsus, and approve ONLY sp3 for that group, any clients that I add to that group will install sp3.

It doesn't answer the question of why sp3 wasn't installed in the first instance, I'd still like to know that.

Hope that makes sense

Nick

Comment

Sorry, I misread your post. I though you could not get WSUS to download SP3 at all.
              Now, It seems a bit odd to me that SP3 only installs after you approve it to one group on its own. If WSUS approves it without any errors then it shouldn't matter if other updates are there. I would've thought that in a nutshell the role of WSUS is to provide the package, select the clients and approve it for installation.
              To me it seems this is more likely to be client side issue. So, if possible can you check these logs on the clients that failed to install SP3: %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log and %windir%\KB936929.log
              It could be that some other updates were needed prior to SP3. I think Windows Installer 3.1 is one of them.
              And I am not aware of any methods WSUS uses to check if the clients meet the criteria for successfully installing an approved package. I think WSUS blindly send the approved package to the client and if the criteria is not met then it won't install and will be logged.

With that in mind, what I think had happened in your case was that you approved SP3 together with other updates and only sp3 didn't install because it maybe the client needed another update (Logs will be able to shed some lights into it).

Please feedback with any findings and thoughts.

Ta
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X