• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dns Scavenging

Hello All

I have a problem with the DNS
    there are few free addresses available but for some reason
    many of new pc's we join they take used IPS from computers in use ,the used IPS are offline at this time of course.

I can see many of them ,even those pcs are not here anymore.

Scavenging was off , but even so for what reason the DNS choose to give used IP instead of new one?

Thanks

Re: Dns Scavenging

DNS is not responsible for delivering IPs , it is the DHCP job.
    Check you DHCP not your DNS.

Comment

hello

Yes I checked my DHCP and he is OK.The lease dration is 7 days as scavenning at the DNS.
      But the Dns dont clear as agging or scavenning I saw many duplicates address IP at the dns not at the DHCP

Comment

As mentioned, DHCP is responsible for issuing IP configuration to client machines.
        Those Ip-Hostname mappings are then registered and recorded in DNS in the form of Resource Records (ie A, NS,ptr, srv etc).
        Since you use dynamic IP via DHCP and not static ones, there is a good chance a client might register several Host A records. The way DNS deals with the old records is via Aging and Scavanging.
        Since you mention that Scavenging was off,
        You can manually Scavange all the inactive records by Rclicking on the DNS server and click on Scavange Stale RR for all zones.
        or Enable aging and scavanging and leave it with the default settings to match your DHCP Lease duration.

Cheers
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X