redirect internal DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redirect internal DNS

So we just put in an internal wifi network at a clients, for some odd reason, these idiots who already have a full running BES with BB Curve's, also want there personal iPhones to get email also. Previously they were using POP over the 3G network. Now that they connect to the Wifi they can no longer access mail.testcompany.com (testcompany being the email domain)

If I attempt to ping it resolves to the internet address 208.x.x.x

I want it to redirect to 10.0.0.1 while on the wifi (the internal email server)

I would like to actually completly get rid of the POP on these devices and go with active sync. Since this is an SBServer I need to point active sync to my OWA address

mail.testcompany.com/exchange

I know I just need to change some DNS entries on my server. When I create a new A record to point to mail.test.com it adds on the internal domain name like so

mail.testcompany.com.test.local (test being my internal domain)

This wont resolve out

Any help?

Thanks guys!
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: redirect internal DNS

You would need a new zone (although there is a way of just creating the record itself).

Split DNS
    http://www.amset.info/netadmin/split-dns.asp
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      You would need a new zone (although there is a way of just creating the record itself).

Split DNS
      http://www.amset.info/netadmin/split-dns.asp
      So I set that up, and created an A record for my mail.companytest.com pointing to my internal IP

Ping resolves to the internal IP

I cleared the DNS cache on the DNS server, anything else I need to do?

Comment

Check you can access your website still. If not you may need to create a WWW record with the public IP.
        Then test your devices. If they pickup an IP (and therefore DNS) from the wifi then you should be able to connect to mail.companytest.com using the internal IP address.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Check you can access your website still. If not you may need to create a WWW record with the public IP.
          Then test your devices. If they pickup an IP (and therefore DNS) from the wifi then you should be able to connect to mail.companytest.com using the internal IP address.
          Ok so I had to create the www to access our website (pointed it to our host IP)

I still cannot ping to the internal IP when trying to ping the mail.companytest.com

tries to resolve to my external IP

Comment

What DNS servers is the wifi giving out? It should be your internal one. From one of the desktops internally what response do you get?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

What DNS servers is the wifi giving out? It should be your internal one. From one of the desktops internally what response do you get?
              It is giving my server 10.0.0.1, I have been attempting the ping directly from the server itself along with desktops.

Comment

Well took a little bit but it eventually started working! Thanks!

Comment

The entry was probably in the cache. Glad it is working for you now though
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X