Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to redirect an SMTP Internally

Hello people.

We have a DMZ where we run some services for our clients and partners, of those services one in running the smtp to send some emails, the application is configure to send the notificacions to our company smtp.

The problem is when the smpt server try to connect to the domain (tricom.com.do) its seen the Internet Address for that domain, as for the our SMTP server the connection came from Internet (thanx to NAT) don't allow that connection.

In essence this is not a problem, in the DMZ there is a NAT address for the smtp, so basically I can access our smtp server from the DMZ, the only difference is that I'm using another connection.

What I would like to know is register the IP address assigned by the Nat in the DMZ, in the DMZ DNS, so when the email look for the domain tricom.com.do instead of the real IP its find the translate IP address.

In another words (I know I'm a very confusing talking people), what I want to archieve is that when from the DMZ an email is being send instead of using the Internet address for our SMTP its use the Nat address asigned to that smtp server in that segment (the dmz).

best regards
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: How to redirect an SMTP Internally

Originally posted by Nehemoth View Post

In another words (I know I'm a very confusing talking people)

best regards
    sorry, very confusing. Really I didn't get what you mean!
    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Comment

The problem is when the smpt server try to connect to the domain (tricom.com.do) its seen the Internet Address for that domain, as for the our SMTP server the connection came from Internet (thanx to NAT) don't allow that connection
      From what I understood, modify your domain [tricom.com.do] MX entires to point your network nat or public address.
      Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
      MCITP [AD]

Comment

Originally posted by mohanmathew View Post
        sorry, very confusing. Really I didn't get what you mean!
        I know this will gonna happens.

In essence what I want to do is redirect a service via DNS so for use one service (SMTP) instead of see the Internet IP address of the smtp server it sees an Internal IP address.

So instead of see 200.42.x.x its sees 192.168.x.x
        When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean but can't you create a MX record?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

From what I understood, modify your domain [tricom.com.do] MX entires to point your network nat or public address.
            Not exactly.

I have one entry for an MX record in one of our Domain, but in the one that I want to do the change is another domain which is in a DMZ.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Not exactly.

I have one entry for an MX record in one of our Domain, but in the one that I want to do the change is another domain which is in a DMZ.
              Is that an internal domain name or an Internet domain?
              Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
              MCITP [AD]

Comment

Is that an internal domain name or an Internet domain?
                Both are internals

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Do you have the proper DNS entries for you LAN? You could define all these in your DNS server itself, even if you are configuring a DMZ.
                  Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                  MCITP [AD]

Comment

Do you have the proper DNS entries for you LAN? You could define all these in your DNS server itself, even if you are configuring a DMZ.
                    Yes I have it.

What I done so far was

register an Entry for our SMTP server, non a MX record, I called SMTP

Then a create an alias pointing to that record.

Is working I believe, but I need to confirm is the email are leaving the server.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                    X