AD 2003 Users getting Locked out for no reason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD 2003 Users getting Locked out for no reason

Have an AD2003 domain, with mostly XP Pro users connecting.
    We have remote users connecting via Cisco VPN clients. They use OUTLOOK and connect to the Exchange 2003 server via this VPN client and a drive mapped to a 2003 server.

Every now and again we ge thw accoutn locked out for no reason. Have tried to tie down the reason as to why this is happening.
    SO my questions is, is there a tool that I can investigate what is happening in the Active Directory. Dont want to turn on all event logging in the policy and was hoping there may be a tool to look and diagnose this as it happens.

Thanks

Re: AD 2003 Users getting Locked out for no reason

Hi,

In my opinion Event logs are the best tool you can get.
    Any particular reason you don't want the Audit policy implemented?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

In my experience this populates so much in the event logs. Was hoping to find an AD tool that helps to diagnose the issue as it is not consistent in any way tothe normal "getting password " wrong and sometimes, the people are not even using the machine yep it reports the machine name etc.

It would be nice to have a tool that looks at the AD etc.

Comment

I'm not sure about tools to do what you want, but try checking the obvious things - if it's not down to a user trying to logon with the wrong password, then check to see what else runs as that user account. Any scheduled tasks?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Have done all that and its not even consistent with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            In my experience this populates so much in the event logs. Was hoping to find an AD tool that helps to diagnose the issue as it is not consistent in any way tothe normal "getting password " wrong and sometimes, the people are not even using the machine yep it reports the machine name etc.

It would be nice to have a tool that looks at the AD etc.
            It is true to a certain extent that the amount of logs can be two much sometimes but you get a good picture of what's happening which is the main issue.
            Besides, this tool you are looking for (The equivalent of Event Viewer) is going to have a look and sort through logs that are generated by AD. But if you don't enable Audit policies then no related logs are going to be generated and whatever tool you might use might still not give you the desired result.

Cheers
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Have a look at the Account Lockout and Management Tools bit of the misc forum tools sticky.
              LockoutStatus can show you when it was last locked out.
              The tools can be installed on a client to give a bit more info too.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
              X