Backing up a SQL Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up a SQL Server

I have MS SQL Server 2000 running on Win2K3 SP2. I am backing it up using Commvault but as it is a 1 TB SQL db, it's taking a real long time to backup (~20 hours). Tape library is a Dell ML6000 with four Ultrium4 tape drives and tapes with 82 tape slots.

I was wondering if I should change the backup schedule to do Transaction Log backups each night, Mon->Fri, then a Full on Sat. I'm concerned that if one of the tapes used during the week becomes corrupt, that this will render the restore of the DB useless.

I suppose that I could try Differential Backups which will only backup changed data each night as well as changed data for each night since the last Full backup.

Do I have any other options?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Backing up a SQL Server

Have a look at this for more ideas: - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...prest.mspx#EOE

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Backing up a SQL Server

Have you had a look continuous protection solutions to compliment tape backup?
      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
      X