W2K3 SP2 to R2 - Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K3 SP2 to R2 - Thoughts?

Our network consists of various Windows 2003 Standard SP2 servers. We're looking into upgrading them with R2. Haven't researched the R2 features yet, but associating printers via USER GPO is how we found out about it. Here's some questions we've come up with after our research around the upgrade procedure:

1. Where can we buy the R2 disks? I've seen it online for a low as $30 on CDW, but it seems WAY too good to be true. Any other costs associated with this upgrade?

2. It has its own license keys, correct?

3. How painless has this upgrade been for you?

4. Any advice around the upgrade?

FYI, it does NOT require any additional licensing from what I've read.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: W2K3 SP2 to R2 - Thoughts?

Originally posted by Wired View Post
    Our network consists of various Windows 2003 Standard SP2 servers. We're looking into upgrading them with R2. Haven't researched the R2 features yet, but associating printers via USER GPO is how we found out about it. Here's some questions we've come up with after our research around the upgrade procedure:

1. Where can we buy the R2 disks? I've seen it online for a low as $30 on CDW, but it seems WAY too good to be true. Any other costs associated with this upgrade?
    yes see below

2. It has its own license keys, correct?
    correct

3. How painless has this upgrade been for you?
    so far none, usuall backup warnings apply of course
    4. Any advice around the upgrade?
    review this

FYI, it does NOT require any additional licensing from what I've read.
    Yes it does, if you have SA you can get it "free" otherwise contact your reseller.
    I am looking up the SKU, its an obscure one.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I just cannot find that SKU.
      Still looking.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
        I just cannot find that SKU.
        Still looking.
        Time to call ye olde Insight or Zones.com account manager?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X