Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd network share problem, HELP!

Hello Everyone,
    So here is the problem. We have a windows server 2003 fully patched acting as a File Share. There is only 1 network share on the server, all users can access the share just fine.

BUT if a user unplugs the network cable from their machine, then plugs it back in, when you \\servername to the server you can no longer see the server shares until you restart your computer. Every user, uses a laptop so they are bringing it to and from work every day.

*EDIT
    Sorry I should have included more detail.

Ok so when the users plug back in you can ping the server but you can not access the shares. Also if you \\servername2 to a different server on the network you can see all the shares fine

Has anyone ever seen this problem or know how to fix it? I can provide any additional information need.

Thank you!
    Last edited by jskinner123; 25th November 2008, 21:27.

Re: Odd network share problem, HELP!

Are your laptops setup to use Offline Files to make data on the server available when the machine is not on the network?

What OS are the laptops running?

From memory, you need to tell Windows to start working online again after you connect back to the network - it isn't necessary to reboot. I don't remember offhand how to do that though. If you share a folder on another laptop, then try to access that after you reconnect one to the network you'll see that you can browse it because that laptop is not configured as a server to be usable in offline mode.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry I should have included more detail.

They are using windows xp

Ok so when the users plug back in you can ping the server but you can not access the shares. Also if you \\servername2 to a different server on the network you can see all the shares fine

They are using offline files and folders but on a different hidden share.

Comment

Once it is working offline, Windows will only show the shares on a server that have been made available offline. If you try to access another server that has not been made available offline, then all of its shares will be listed. As I said, you need to tell Windows to start working online again.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I see but, the other shares have not been made availible to work offline that are on various other servers on the network and we can view those just fine. Also the share that is goin away is not the one that is told to work when windows is offline.

Also if we release and renew their ip address, it has the same problem. But if we enter in a static ip address the shares pop back up again.

I guess if you put in a static IP Address it is different from getting a new IP from DHCP? Like it "puts windows back online"

That still does not answer why we can see shares on all other servers just not on this one.

Comment

If server A does not have any of its shares made available offline, then all of that server's shares will be visible when you are connected to the network.

Server B has two shares - share1 and share2. Share1 is made available offline, share2 is not.

When you are connected to the network and working online, both shares are visible. When you are working offline, only share1 will be visible.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Got it, thank you.

I will investigate further how to bring windows back online

Comment

Please post back when you find the answer so that others can benefit too

I will do unless you beat me to it
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X