Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ML370 G4 not seeing more than 4GB in Windows

Hi All,

I have a situation where I had a client upgrade from 4GB to 6GB physical RAM in an older ML370 G4. BIOS sees the full 6GB, but Windows is still only reporting 4GB. The system has Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise.

The /PAE switch has been enabled in the BOOT.INI file.

Is there something I'm missing?

Re: ML370 G4 not seeing more than 4GB in Windows

Here a good place to start, it's pretty comprehensive.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEdrv.mspx
    If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Thanks, I seen that article. That's why I'm thinking it may be a limitation of the ML370. Does anyone have any concrete evidence that this is so?

Comment

Well, no problem neither from the hardware point of view, nor OS (see the attached screenshots). So it must be something in the environment settings...
        Please post the line in the BOOT.INI file that contains the boot string. Just to be sure there's no error there.
        Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

From what i can see the ML370G4 can handle 16Gb of ram so that isn't the problem. I little investigation reveals this: http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-...re-ram-memory/

DEP could be the problem, wikipedia info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention
          If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

32 or 64bit version of Enterprise?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              32 or 64bit version of Enterprise?
              I was thinking that. 32bit XP can only handle 3.5Gb RAM, I assume server 2k3 is the same?

Comment

DEP is enabled. 32 bit version of Enteprise R2.

The BOOT.INI file is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE /noexecute=optout

Here is my DEP screenshot. Do I need to set the /noexecute to 'optin'?

Comment

/noexecute=optin implies /PAE ...
                  I would loose the /noexecute=optin and leave the /PAE only... Reboot the server and see the result...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

His current config includes /noexecute=optout - I would guess this cancels out /PAE?
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is what I want to check ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixTekBC View Post
                        DEP is enabled. 32 bit version of Enteprise R2.
                        Guys,
                        Did I missed something??
                        32bit has an hardware limitation of max 4 GB.
                        You need to upgrade to 64 bit (so you need a re-installation to do this) if your CPU supports it.

A 32bit CPU can only allocate 32bit of memory.
                        2^32 = 4GB.

However due to the architecture (HAL) of windows you might walked into the support of this.

So either upgrade CPU to 64 bit if needed and possible or upgrade your OS to a 64bit version
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The whole 4Gb limit has confused me for years. When looking at the comparison sheet for W2K8 Server the 32Bit Enterprise edition has a limit of 64Gb yet I've never managed to see more than 4Gb in any 32Bit OS - as per this thread.

Comment

Well, the 4GB RAM limit for 32-bit operating systems can be misleading sometimes.
                            Indeed, at first glance, a 32-bit operating system cannot reach memory locations higher than 4GB because of its address space limitation. If so, then how come Microsoft declare in their Memory Limits for Windows Releases MSDN article that the 32-bit Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition can use up to 64GB RAM? Are they tricking us? Are they talking theoretically, and leave us to deal with the harsh reality? (BTW, if you asked yourself what is 4GT, here is the answer).
                            Neither answer is true. One single application cannot see more than 4GB RAM (on a 32-bit OS). That's an axiom. But , since Intel introduced the use of Memory Management Units in their 32-bit processors and Microsoft invented the PAE switch, the reality has changed. It has allowed every application to see its 4GB RAM space, if there is enough available RAM. This is how one can use all the available RAM, even if there is more than 4GB.
                            I think that what you do see in the Task Manager is only the visual setting, and not the available memory.

Notes:
                            1) all this is relevant to Windows Server 2003. XP and Vista can handle maximum 4GB RAM (again, in 32-bit flavor).
                            2) the 4GB limit is not something typical to Windows. Linux has the same limit, but they solved the problem with special kernels and methods.
                            Last edited by sorinso; 26th November 2008, 07:15.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I updated the BIOS and also removed the /noexecute switch... still no dice. Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X