Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS records incorrect

Hi,

I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 sp2 configured with DHCP and DNS.

I have noticed that occasionally the DNS details are incorrect. For example, if I ping a computer name the following happens:

Ping computer_name <enter>
    Pinging computer_name.domain [192.168.1.115] with 32 bytes of data

The pings will time out, because the IP address is incorrect. When I view the Host (A) records under Forward lookup zones for my domain in Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > DNS, the computer name is listed with an incorrect IP address.

The DHCP lease is 10 hours

I was looking at the settings located in Properties > DNS tab for the DHCP server and wondered if these settings need to be changed? I have attached an image of the settings.

Any ideas?

Nick
    Attached Files

Re: DNS records incorrect

Hi,

You might need to check if DHCP clients are configured to automatically update DNS records.
    Also check if enable scavenging of stale records is enabled.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

When you say the IP address is incorrect, presumably the subnet is right?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Minor suggestion: Check to see if something else on your network is handing out DHCP addresses. Like a wireless router or something. HTH.

Shannon

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

All our IP addresses are in the network 192.168.1.0, so I don't think subnet should will be an issue.

When I view the A record for the client, it displays an IP address of 192.168.1.117, however, the client's IP address is actually 192.168.1.202. It also displays a Record time stamp of 14/04/2008 08:00:00 AM

I enabled scavaging, if my DHCP lease is 10 hours, what would be the best length of time for No-refresh interval and Refresh interval?

Nick

Comment

Is DHCP configured to automatically update DNS?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Set it to she same as your dhcp lease.

Someone explains it here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._23243719.html
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

The DNS record has been correctly updated now.

I enabled scavenging of stale records, and also changed my DHCP DNS settings to 'Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records'

I set No Refresh interval to 10 hours, and Refresh interval to 10 hours (DHCP lease is also 10 hours. I couldn't read the experts exchange article.

I'll keep an eye on this, as it only happens occasionally.

Thanks for all the advice.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for updating mate,

Also if you want to access Expert Exchange posts in the future, then do a search in google for the post title and follow the referral link. The answer will be revealed at the bottom of the page.
                  Credit 2 VonPryz: http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...33&postcount=9

Ta
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X