Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ask before moving?

Hi,

I have some clients who by mistake often move folders on the fileserver without knowing they even did it, so they come to me complaining about folders that have been deleted. I usually find the folder they are looking for, but it would be nice if they got a question if they really wanted to move the folder before they actually did. Is this possible?

the fileserver is a windows 2003 server, the clients are running XP and everybody is on a domain.
    Last edited by basecoat; 24th November 2008, 15:13.

Re: ask before moving?

Maybe this is a silly suggestion, but do your customer's really need to have the permission to move folders in the first place? Of course, denying "Move" permissions also denys alot of other permissions as well, and that might not be acceptable.

Maybe take a look at this TechRepublic thread and see if it has an acceptable solution for you. Post back and let us know if it works.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

He is describing my excact problem. I'm on my way home now, but I'll look into it tomorrow.

Ps. Yes they have to be able to move, create, delete, read and write.

Comment

I think you're better off with instructing the users.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Instructing them is not enough, they dont even know they've moved something. It all happens by mistake.

Comment

The training would probably therefore include the basics of a filesystem. That's easy enough to represent graphically.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Also have Shadow Copy enable in case they accidently delete the files as well.

Users and education should involve some violent action like a large piece of wood making contact to the back of the head when they get it wrong. Negative re-enforcement works faster than positive re-enforcement.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

biggles77, thats the best advice ever. We should get Microsoft to implement this in the new server packs. Either a wooden plank or a metal tube

Comment

How about a freak earthing fault in the PSU that somehow finds the new range of Microsoft brushed aluminium mice and keyboards somehow becoming live

http://www.break.com/index/electric-door-prank.html
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                  X