Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K3 Servers suffer same freezes every 4 days

Hello everyone,

I have two W2K3 R2 Service Pack 2 machines - one running as a Sharepoint server (Sharepoint 2007 Enterprise), the other running as a Virtual Server (Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2). They have the same hardware specifications (shown below), and they each seem to freeze or have no physical memory remaining after every four days.

Hardware specifications:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    Gigabyte S-Series EP45-DS3 Mainboard
    D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    2x 1TB Western Digital WD10EACS-00C7B0 Hard disks

I have managed to do a hard reboot of these machines, and a proper reboot also. However, with the proper reboot, the machines still say that they have shut down unexpectedly. I have browsed through the event viewer and I have found the most common errors to be these:

Sharepoint Server:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category: Timer
    Event ID: 6398
    Date: 24/11/2008
    Time: 8:29:34 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: W2K3SHAREPOINT
    Description:
    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.JobSchedule r (ID afaef17b-41be-45d4-a881-be3705788a4f) threw an exception. More information is included below.

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 27745
    Time: 8:29:49 AM
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 27745 ) in Source ( Windows SharePoint Services 3 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: #50071: Unable to connect to the database SharePoint_Config_4b8ff71e-47cc-400e-bdc9-fae50373b684 on W2K3SHAREPOINT\OfficeServers. Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running..

Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category: Office Server Shared Services
    Event ID: 6481
    Time: 8:29:49 AM
    Description:
    Application Server job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Sear chServiceInstance (654ffc27-6b55-4f5a-8b7e-9e51c04574cb).

Reason: Out of memory

Techinal Support Details:
    System.Management.ManagementException: Out of memory
    at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExt endedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(O bject o)
    at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
    at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initial ize()
    at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Sear chAdminUtils.GetIPAddress(ManagementObjectSearcher ipSearcher, Boolean preferLast)
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Sear chAdminUtils.PreferStaticIPAddress()
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Sear chDataAccessServiceInstance.Synchronize(Boolean bCalledFromSSI)
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Sear chServiceInstance.Synchronize()
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.Application ServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boo lean isAdministrationServiceJob)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Virtual Server:
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1020
    Date: 3/10/2008
    Time: 5:34:10 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: W2K3VIRTUAL2
    Description:
    Windows cannot create registry key Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy. (Access is denied. ).

Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1053
    Date: 24/10/2008
    Time: 4:41:01 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: W2K3VIRTUAL2
    Description:
    Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I am not ruling out that it is a hardware error just yet, but it could be a possibility on the part of the memory slot. I have no idea why these two have such a hard time, especially the virtual server, because I have another virtual server used for another purpose, with the same specs as mentioned above, and I've had it running for over 60 days without a hitch. Has anybody else had this problem, and is there a solution for it?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Re: W2K3 Servers suffer same freezes every 4 days

Sorry just glanced at the post but check for SQL memory leak. (Other option is to reboot server ever 3 days. )
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: W2K3 Servers suffer same freezes every 4 days

Thanks for the reply Biggles,

I might have to ask how to find out if I do have a memory leak, and how to prevent it from doing so. I have had this problem for about a month now and I do not want to restart every 3-4 days. With machines that are relatively new, they should not stuff up that quickly.

I was also thinking that it could be a filed memory slot. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Working...
      X