Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Windows NT File and Print Server to Windows 2003

Hi Folks

I have an issue here. I am Upgrading my Windows NT 4 domain to Windows 2003.The Domain controller Upgrade is complete working fine. I have to upgrade my File and Print Server to Windows 2003 Server. Since my NT File and Print Server is an old Hardware, I installed windows 2003 server on a new box joined it to the new windows 2003 domain. I want to make this as my new File and Print Server. The Server is ready. I have installed all the Printers in my network on it with their drivers. All the printers are shared. I have not migrated the Printers from my old Windows NT File and Print Server. I have about 25 Printers in my Network with 400 desktops.

My question is

How do I point my Clients to the new Windows 2003 File and Print Server. Can it be done through Logon scripts.
    How to migrate a NT 4 File Server to Windows 2003 File Server.
    Please provide me with the step by step details in this regard. I will be grateful to you.

Warm Regards

Fasahat Shafi.

Can it be done through Logon scripts.
    Why use a logon script? I bet there's a way to do it through group policies. Almost anything can be done using GPO.

As for the printers... I can honestly say I've never used windows as a print server, in any version. Sharing printers over TCP/IP is much more reliable. SHaring printers this way would mean the change your about to make wouldn't affect anything. Since the printers are assigned an IP and the workstations have the port configured in the printer properties, a new server wouldn't affect anything. they print directly to the printer. sorry, just my two cents.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
    340 N. 12th St.
    Suite 200
    Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Working...
    X