Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading win 2000 forest to 2003 R2: what consequences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading win 2000 forest to 2003 R2: what consequences?

Hi everybody

I'm going to update our windows 2000 forest schema to windows 2003 R2; we are, infact, going to install a new windows 2003 R2 DC in a child domain.

I need to analyze any kind of issues I may find...can you help me (based also on your past experiences)?

I know for sure there should be problems with authentication of some old Windows 95/98 and NT 4.0 clients, but no more...

We have several non-microsoft third part applications that perform LDAP or NTLM authentication; I don't know if there will be problems after the schema upgrade. The forest will remain Windows 2000, of course.

Thanks in advance

Alessandro
    Forgot to mention: I don't have any exchange 2000; I do have an Exchange 2003
    Last edited by upup2; 21st November 2008, 16:50.

Re: Upgrading win 2000 forest to 2003 R2: what consequences?

I'm pretty sure you will need at least one 2003 server in the root domain first but I can't find a doc saying that at the moment.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      I'm pretty sure you will need at least one 2003 server in the root domain first but I can't find a doc saying that at the moment.

I'm terrified about what you said....I didn't read anything regarding this...please someone can confirm/refute?

Thanks

Comment

Well I didn't mean to terrify you! I'm still searching. Will let you know if I find anything.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          I've never heard of this.

Comment

May be why I can't find proof as well then!

I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

The following computers must be among the first domain controllers that run Windows Server 2003 in the forest in each domain:
            • The domain naming master in the forest so that you can create default DNS program partitions.
            • The primary domain controller of the forest root domain so that the enterprise-wide security principals that Windows Server 2003's forestprep adds become visible in the ACL editor.
            • The primary domain controller in each non-root domain so that you can create new domain-specific Windows 2003 security principals.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Working...
            X