Inexpensive backup solution for SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive backup solution for SBS 2003

We are a small school with limited funds and I am new to the staff and have just returned to the IT profession so my knowledge is dated. Our SBS 2003 SP2 server doesnít have a backup device and hasnít been saved since install over a year ago. I need a suggestion on which USB external drives work with NT Backup as this seems to be the best route based on cost. I am also open to other suggestions for a reliable lower cost backup solution.

Thanks

Re: Inexpensive backup solution for SBS 2003

Any USB hard drive that is supported by Windows. USB 2 preferable for obvious reasons. NTBackup will just point to a drive letter.

Need any help scripting ntbackup?

I'd recommend a gigabit NAS for onsite backup, with 6 USB drives for offsite. Or better yet, 10.

Monday-Thursday
    Friday1
    Friday2

or

Monday-Thursday
    Friday1
    Friday2
    Friday3
    Month1
    Month2
    Month3

You must be a very small school if you have less than 75 users.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 20th November 2008, 19:43.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I would balance up what would happen if you lost everything on the server against the money you are told you can spend.
      You need a minimum of 2 drives so you have at least some tolerance should one fail. The NAS solution would be good but I'm going to guess it may be too expensive.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Actually the price of a decent NAS is competitive with the price of USB. The reason I suggest NAS for the onsite backup is that you should situate it away from the server - in a different building if possible

And yes, I didn't think of mentioning the internal drives in the server - hopefully you're running on a RAID 5 array at least?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for all the assistance, it has given me a direction to follow. Our school only has about 200 kids and 12 staff so anything we can do to save money is a help in our day to day operation.

Again Thanks

Comment

How much data do you need to back up? YOu may want to look into online backups, e.g. http://mozy.com/
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Contact your local Diocese and see what sort of licencing program they have with Microsoft. In Victoria, OZ, they have a VLK licence where a Windows Server 2003 SP1 R2 can be purchased for AUD$153 plus AUD$12 per CAL. A much better option to an SBS setup in a school.

Other MS products are also covered in the Licencing Agreement. It is worth looking into.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X