X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual server setup

Hi friends!

Just wanted a share...

I'm working with a company which is having 5 small sister companies and one of the college under it.

Offices for five companies are situated in Bldg.A and college is in Bldg.B. both buildings are connected thru fiber.

Now my server IBM x3650(xeon quad ore2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 4 x 146gb sas hdd) is located in BuldgA.

Now i wanted to create DC and file server for each company and college which is having less than 150 users.

So what i've planned is to install 2k3 on actual server and using MS Virtual server host another 5 virtual 2k3 guest OS and then configure respective DC and file server for respective companies and college.

I know i need to upgrade server hardware and considering server cluster for redundancy in future.

Please guide me thru will it work....any suggestion are welcome.

Regards,
    Deepak M.

Re: Virtual server setup

How are the hard drives configured?

You're probably going to want the new server to have two RAID controllers. One with a 2 disk RAID 1 for the host operating system and one with a 4 disk RAID 5 array for data. Separating them onto different controllers improves reliability and performance.

Don't promote the host OS to a domain controller, or join it to a domain hosted on a VM - that'll just cause you headaches.

You're going to want a lot more memory to run that many servers. I'd recommend 8GB at least, preferably 16GB. Which means you'll be wanting x64 versions of Server 03.

I'd also strongly recommend that you install enough NICs in the server to be able to dedicate one to each VM, plus one dedicated to the host. Don't go for PCI gigabit cards though - the PCI bus can't handle that sort of bandwidth, and multiple cards would cause major performance issues. PCI-E is fine.

Do you really want to host that much on one single server though?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So you are talking to run multiple DC's on the same server for branch offices with >150 users.
      Well that doesn't make sense.

why?
      Well the authentiction will still flow over your VPN connections.
      The reason why microsoft recommend to have a local DC at the branch is for faster authentication and....
      When the WAN link is down, the users still can authenticate.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I didn't see a mention of a WAN link or VPN - I believe he meant that the two buildings connected by fibre are on the same LAN.

But I would agree that hosting that much on one server is far from ideal.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

hey thanks for your reply....

yes currently i've configured HDD's in RAID 5.

I'll surely try to follow your suggestions thanks for each one.

I know hosting that much of VM on one server is not good idea(Also budget is not allowing me to go for different server for each DC ), but as i said i'll planning to have cluster for redundancy (will it work? ). and may be i'll seperate VM's after some time.

Also you said attache seperate nic's for each VM, How will it work i mean how will be ip addressing should be done?

Thanks again.
          Deepak

Comment

On a DC you will set a static address.

Only install DHCP on one server, unless you are going to separate each network.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Hey no its not WAN or VPN, its connected thru fiber and on the same lan. (two buildings are 500m from each other)

Yes in fiber cut situation users at other building will not able to use any resource..any work around for this????

what other option do i have for setting up the kind of setup then...

thanks

Deepak

Comment

hey thats next thing in my mind i wanted to separate each domain.

i'm having L3 switch(Cisco3560), all the hosts are connecting to this L3 switch thru cisco ce500 switches.

any ideas..i know it sounds like i'm not helping myself by asking each and every thing to you...but i want to make sure every thing goes smoothly thats it.

thanks again...
                Deepak

Comment

Originally posted by dkmahajan View Post
                  Yes in fiber cut situation users at other building will not able to use any resource..any work around for this????
                  Put the DCs for those networks in that building...

what other option do i have for setting up the kind of setup then...
                  Physical servers. I would never consider virtualising a domain controller. Application servers only.

i wanted to separate each domain
                  Then you would connect the cards dedicated to the DCs to separate networks. You would need to run additional fibre links.

FYI, you can edit your posts - you don't need to post twice in a row.
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 20th November 2008, 10:48.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                  X