Point an FQDN to public ip Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point an FQDN to public ip Address

i have dynamic ip address on router but mostly it same all time untill i restart router.

On Lan i configure my Domain e.g(businessserver.local)

how i point FQDN work.businessserver.local to public ip addres on my router.

Basicaly how i point lan fqdn to public ip

thanks

Re: Point an FQDN to public ip Address

You want your WAN IP to route to a certain LAN IP on your network and to be accessible from the outside world?
    GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Originally posted by stamandster View Post
      You want your WAN IP to route to a certain LAN IP on your network and to be accessible from the outside world?
      YES i WANT to do

Comment

lol... Only for a certain server I would imagine. Like HTTP/HTTPS/FTP right?

Comment

Originally posted by mirfanaslam View Post
          i have dynamic ip address on router but mostly it same all time untill i restart router.

On Lan i configure my Domain e.g(businessserver.local)

thanks
          Let me see if I understand you. You want people to be able to go to your public IP address (the router's public IP) and access certain services on your business's server which is on the LAN? Simple port forwarding in your router would solve that or even using a DMZ feature if the router supports it. What router do you have?

(Also, your router might have built-in support for DynDNS which will point a FQDN to your public IP even if it changes. Of course, static IP addresses are fairly cheap these days too [no wonder we're runnig out of IPV4 address space].)
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

First you'll need a valid public domain name as .local is not a valid gTLD. Then create the appropriate FQDN that points to the public ip assigned to you by your ISP, then create the appropriate port forwarding rules on your firewall/router to route traffic to the internal ip address, then set up a DynDNS account and client to update the FQDN when the public ip address changes.

Comment

He doesn't have to make his internal FQDN the same as his external one. It seems that he simply wants his public IP to be able to connect to internal services.

But, port forwarding could be the option to use. Make sure you only allow the ports you actually need open to only the IP addresses you are going to use these services on. The smaller the allowed hole the better off you will be.

You could also setup your server in a DMZ zone. But then that get's into more complication.

However, if you're going to do anything like RDP, etc. I would suggest using a VPN connection instead of something just wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                First you'll need a valid public domain name as .local is not a valid gTLD.
                I suppose it's a matter of interpretation here. I was interpreting the OP's somewhat broken english (I'm not making fun of you mirfanaslam, you're good) to mean that he wants his external IP to forward to work.businessserver.local on his LAN. Or maybe I misinterpreted and mirfanaslam wanted what you mentioned; to have the DNS name work.businessserver.local publically resolvable.

Originally posted by mirfanaslam View Post

We'll have to wait until mirfanaslam responds.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  First you'll need a valid public domain name as .local is not a valid gTLD. Then create the appropriate FQDN that points to the public ip assigned to you by your ISP, then create the appropriate port forwarding rules on your firewall/router to route traffic to the internal ip address, then set up a DynDNS account and client to update the FQDN when the public ip address changes.
                  Since he want to access the lan from WAN, he needs to get a valid domain name which points to his lan public IP and the definitely port forwarding will do the trick. Also if the lan is on dynamic IP, DynDNS is the way.
                  Last edited by mohanmathew; 20th November 2008, 07:17. Reason: forgot something
                  Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                  MCITP [AD]

Comment

A public facing FQDN is only a facade for an IP address. He doesn't "need" an FQDN to access his internal network. It'll only be good if he wants to do it publicly.

Comment

Working...
                    X