Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Placing and additional domain controller in remote network?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing and additional domain controller in remote network?

Hello
    I have 1 domain at 192.168.1.0 network. I have a site to site vpn tunnel created and i am able to ping ip address at the remote site. The remote site has a network of 192.168.2.0 and i am thinking of placing a server that serves as dns, ad, dhcp and that will be part of my domain. All servers will be running w2k3 r2 with integrated dns. Im thinking of following the steps below i found but want to make sure these are in fact all that is needed.
    1) get the VPN connectivity working between sites...
    2) point the new Windows 2003 server to the DNS of your internal Windows 2003 DNS servers (do not set
    the TCP/IP settings of the new server to point to the ISP DNS server IP addresses...)
    3) run DCPROMO on the new windows 2003 server in the remote location (you can do this through remote
    desktop if you like) be sure to join the existing
    domain... and also choose to install DNS on this server.
    (you can do this later too if you would rather wait)
    4) wait for replication to occur...
    5) Go into AD site and services and add the new subnet for this remote location. Assign this subnet to a
    new Site name. And move the new DC to this new Site (simply right click the new server name in AD sites

and services and choose move) I will also make the remote server a GC

How can i make sure all the remote users are in fact logging into the remote domain controller. I want to have little traffic as possible going through the vpn tunnel. There are not many objects in AD and there are very few changes made to AD.

I have a 1 meg VPN link between sites

Thanks

Re: Placing and additional domain controller in remote network?

damn, small letters are you using there.
    What was your source???

The clients will select the closest DC according your settings in Sites and Services.
    If the DC is no available the clients will try the next DC out of their own subnet.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Ok Here is the best way to do it.

Take a most recent upto date System state back up of the domain controller go to the remote site. Restore it to ALTERNATIVE Location . Remember Alternative location. Then on that domain controller use dcpromo /adv switch and get the data from ALTERNATE location were System State has been copied to.

By doing so your replication would be very fast as it will only look for most recent changes that would be minimal.

Let me know if you have any question about the same.
      Thanks & Regards
      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

It's actually pretty easy.

1. Setup the 2 sites in ADSS.
        2. Set the new DC up as your DNS, DHCP, WINS and whatever else.
        3. Run DCPROMO on the new server while it is in its own site, you can use v-2nas's method but i prefer to let it replicate straight off the bat.
        4. Setup the new DC as a GC.

Voila one new DC in your remote site that will replicate automatically with the head office site.

Comment

thanks guys. i was planning on promoting in the remote site since the AD file is 50mb. Im planning on setting the tcp/ip primary dns on remote server networking settings to point to the main domain controller at main site. I will then give the remote domain controller a couple of hours for replications and then have it point to itself for dns and set the secondary to my main office. Do i need to configure anything on the DNS management console?

Thanks

Comment

Hey,

On DNS Management Console you don't need to configure anything. And you have now more than enough info to begin with installation. Just make sure before you start a DCPromo take a most upto date system state back... just in case if things don't happen as expected. As you know computers make very fast and accurate mistakes.
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect
            Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

thanks everyone for the clarification and help. I will post back results wheni do this in the weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X