DHCP looks unauthorized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP looks unauthorized

hi guys, am a newbie on this forum i have a problem my DHCP looks unauthorized with the red down ward arrow and yet when i go to options to authorize it, i only get the unauthorize option.
    some one please help me

angel

Re: DHCP looks unauthorized

are you a member of the Domain Admins group?

Comment

You actually need to be a member of the Enterprise Admin group to be able to authorise a DHCP.

Cheers
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

You could try restarting the dhcp server service. Closing out of the dhcp console and then re opening it.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

am a member of both the admins group and enterprise group. Restarting the DHCP server service and reopening the console does not help.

the DHCP still lookks unauthorized and yet the unauthorize option appears instad of authorize so i have no way of actually authorizing the DHCP.this is a weird anomaly

Comment

You can use Adsiedit to check the DS schema to see what DHCP server(s) are authorised. I'll have to dig out the notes I've got on doing that, alternatively Google it.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It could have shut its self down because it detected another dhcp server on the network, u could use something like DhcpExplorer.exe to eliminate that possibility.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

thanks guys ........
                there is no other DHCP server on the network.

i googled for the Adsiedit but didnt find any info to help me out.

am thinking of redoing AD altogether

Comment

It's not not authorized (unauthorized). The red icon means the console is not connected to the DHCP server or the DHCP service is not running. Is the DHCP service running?

Comment

and can you post a screenshot of it?
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Try to remove dhcp role and install it again.
                      Helped me with dns service once

Comment

I just ran into the exact same issue on one of our Windows 2003 Servers, and I went ahead and backed up the DHCP Server with the intention of removing the role, re-adding it, and then restoring the DHCP Server... but I tried rebooting it first, just in case, and this fixed it.

The problem was that the DHCP Server wasn't seeing a DC for authorization (repeated errors in the System log), but I checked all of our DC's and they were all up... so I'm not entirely sure what caused it (some loss of connectivity or trust between the DC and the server), but it was resolved by rebooting the server. =)

Comment

Working...
                        X