Removing hotfix uninstalls & server cleanup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing hotfix uninstalls & server cleanup

I've got two issues here. The partition for ther OS was created rather small, and I'm running out of room. I don't want to try to change partition because of the way it was setup and the raid management software.
    I'm trying to find files I can remove and reduce.
    I got a hint about moving the page file (rather not) but I would like to remove the hotfix uninstall files. (about 1G of space). Rather then just deleting the files, is there a way of removing them?
    I suppose the I386 is necessary to keep it even though I have the original install disks handy?
    I do a regular cleanup, and not sure if I can remove much more.
    I would like to remove other users, besides the administrator. They aren't here or were the installer/users. I don't remember how to remove users from the server. There is no "Users" in the control panel.

Your help is greatly appreciated
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Removing hotfix uninstalls & server cleanup

If you aren't happy with deleting things then just move them onto a USB stick elsewhere.
    You can delete the uninstall directories for patches if you don't ever want to uninstall them which is, to be fair, a rare thing. Keep recent ones for a few months and get rid of them if you have no issues.
    I386 can go if you have disks although you can keep that on a USB disk elsewhere.
    Clean the temp directory and any unused profiles from the "c:\documents and settings\" path. They will all be identifiable by the usernames, old ones can go assuming you have permissions to delete them.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Guys, WHAT i386??????? Where's an i386 folder in Win2008????
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Sorry to go OT for a second...

Server 2003 (Migrated from 2000) AD using Netgear Firewall/Router/VPN as DNS
        I would strongly recomment that you migrate to using DNS installed on your server. I've never seen a router (and certainly not a Netgear router) running a DNS server that fully complies with Microsoft's requirements.

If that's something you want to discuss though, we can do that in a new thread.

As for deleting unnecessary files, AndyJG247 has covered everything I would have suggested.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry Daniel, fair point. I assume this was an upgrade or posted in the wrong forum.

EDIT - having read this the server looks like it is 2003 so this may be the wrong forum. (from the sig)
          Last edited by AndyJG247; 18th November 2008, 13:00.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

You are correct. I originall posted in the 2000/2003 server forum. How it got here?
            Maybe the small writing. Someone please move this thread to the correct forum.

Thanks for the info on file deletion. I have a utility that deletes these files in XP. I didn't want to assume it was as simple as just deleting them. There's usually a process.

Thanks again.
            I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
            Chris Robertson
            The Computer Doctor

Comment

Thread moved from the Win2008 forum.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

It's ok to move/delete the uninstallers ($NtUninstallKB####) just make sure you don't delete/move the $hf_mig$ folder. This folder contains copies of updates that are required for future superceding/superceded updates.

Comment

Working...
                X