Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2003 with NT4 networking

Hi guys,

This is my first time on the site. I've used your website extensively in helping me fix problems. The site is great

The problem:
    everytime a user logs in, the batch file runs and then stops. It then asks for the administrator username and password.

Background information:
    1)The machine that has the shares is a NT4 machine SP6
    2)The primary domain controller is a Win2003 server. (roles has recently been siezed and both computers restarted)
    3)the NT4 DNS settings are correct. nslookup of all the computers from the domain works.
    4)DNS server is the PDC.
    5)The NT4 machine shares can be accessed very easily when the batch file runs when an administrator logs in.
    6)when an administrator logs, they have easy access to all the files. No prompting for authentication.
    7)If i create a user in the NT4 box, the Win2003 server sees it.
    AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the NT4 machine is actually a virtual server running on another win2003. Using Vmware 1.06. Installed vmware tools, and installed the virtual NIC. assigned the necessary IP scheme.

everyone works perfectly except that a normal user must authenticate for the batch files and in the dialog boxes if he wants to access the shares

Any Help is greatly appreciated

Re: Win 2003 with NT4 networking

What are these batch files. Are they logon scripts? What share are they stored in? How are they defined as logon scripts - through ADUC or Group Policy?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly

the batch files are in netlogon share on the PDC.

simple things like net use ://server/share

In AD, the login scripts are used for each user and groups.

shares between XP and 2003 work perfectly but not in NT4
      Last edited by sabbyman; 18th November 2008, 02:25. Reason: forgot to to thank gforceindustries

Comment

Is the NT4 box a member of the 2003 domain???

You may need to use DSClient to make the NT4 box AD aware.

Comment

Have the users got rights to see the shares? I know it sounds obvious, but NT4 and 2003 have very different default settings.

You shouldn't have a problem mapping NT4 shares in an AD environment, just certain AD specific things won't work.

Comment

I don't know about wullieb1's solution but i know that you if go back to the NT4 box, run server manager and tell it to syncronise with the primary domain controller.
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Yes, the nT4 box is in the same domain as 2003 server. I can add a user and that user replicates to the NT4 Box and visa versa.

Yes, i've check the folder's permissions. Everyone has full control

When i try to sync it, the problem doesn't go away. I went to check the event logs of the 2003 server and i get a netlogon error 5722. unable to authenticate to SERVERNAME

Comment

Why are you still using NT4???
                Anyhow, have you disabled SMB signing? I read it quickly so if I missed something, oops
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  Probably for the same reason that our company uses DOS. Ahh, NetBEUI
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                    Anyhow, have you disabled SMB signing? I read it quickly so if I missed something, oops
                    Sorry i haven't replied for such a long time

SMB looks like it is on. We left the defaults on the 2k3 server. Will post again when i get the results

I'm using NT4 because all the data and software licenese are for NT4

Comment

Time for a migration?
                      smb signing (see your gpo) can give you some troubles
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                      X