You do not have permission to view or edit the file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You do not have permission to view or edit the file

I am computer administrator for Server 2003. When I try to backup or access certain files I get this message "You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings, but you can take ownership or change audit settings" this is weird since I am logged on as administrator and everyone in my small organization is in the administrators group. It is very time consuming to go into each file that does this and take ownership. Can someone tell me what is making this happen and how to correct it?

Re: You do not have permission to view or edit the file

You can take ownership on a root folder and have everything inside that folder take the same permission. If you are getting that message then someone has specifically set those rights and it is working as intended. Have you restored from backups or re-installed on this machine at all?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by daut View Post
      everyone in my small organization is in the administrators group
      Receptionist called Pandora by any chance?

Hope your staff is trustworthy. What industry are you in that requires everyone to be an administrator? (Local admin or domain admin?)
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

Hope your staff is trustworthy. What industry are you in that requires everyone to be an administrator? (Local admin or domain admin?)

hahaha...
        sorry, i was wrong. not everyone is in the administrators group..
        just weird..
        i have already taken the ownership on a root folder and have everything inside that folder take the same permission.
        but there are several files those cannot be accesssed.
        i can't open it. and when i open the properties and choose the security tab, there is an error.
        'You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for a.xls, but you can take ownership or change auditing settings.'

and when i prees ok then i choose advanced, and i choose owner tab, and i change owner to 'administrators' or 'administrator' and press apply.
        after that i can open that file.

it is very strange.
        it is worked but it is not good if i change the file properties one by one..

is there any way else?

Comment

does anyone can solve my problem?

regards,
          david

Comment

By taking ownership, did you also set the option replace owner on subcontainers and objects?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

By taking ownership, did you also set the option replace owner on subcontainers and objects?

yes, i set it..

Regards,
              david

Comment

Originally posted by daut View Post

yes, i set it..

Regards,
                david
                It may be that some of the folders underneath don't have the 'include inheritable permissions from this object's parent' ticked.

I have had the same issue before and had to do some of them manually.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

in the organisation I work for, everyone is a DA.
                  Everyone that is, except the two newest employees, because I created their accounts.

We are a consultant firm however.. and the boss beleives in being very ope and trusting of employees.
                  My agument with management so far has been "it's not about trust or lack of, it's about control, and the fact that I'm expected to support the environment, and if any dickhead can change something, and I don't know how something is setup, or how it's changed, then i can't support it, or it'll take me lots longer.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You may find the OP is no longer around guys as the date is a while ago.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                    X