Installing in SQL in 2003 STD with DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing in SQL in 2003 STD with DC

i want to know is there any conflict will occur if we install sQL SVR in DC win2k3?

Re: Installing in SQL in 2003 STD with DC

Nope. There shouldn't be any conflict.

If this is a small environment then it's fine but be sure to measure and take into consideration the requirements needed to adequately serve the users. In other words, make sure the server can handle it.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

For a performance benefit and also a security benefit, consider the possibility of installing SQL Server on a member server rather than a DC, if your budget will allow this.

However, I am not aware of any issues that should arise if you install SQL Server on your DC - SBS 2003 Premium includes SQL Server.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

From what I remember Microsoft does not recommend installing SQL server on any domain controller. Well that and having DHCP on the same box (well, when it's setup a certain way). But people will do what they want.
        GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Originally posted by stamandster View Post
          From what I remember Microsoft does not recommend installing SQL server on any domain controller. Well that and having DHCP on the same box (well, when it's setup a certain way). But people will do what they want.
          Right, they don't recommend it but they support it. The reason for not installing SQL on a domain controller is what's called Isolation of Services. The thinking behind it is that if one service is compromised it won't then compromise the other service(s). The recommendation comes from a security standpoint and has nothing to do with compatibility. But you should take into consideration the secure too. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8(SQL.90).aspx
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            The reason for not installing SQL on a domain controller is what's called Isolation of Services. The thinking behind it is that if one service is compromised it won't then compromise the other service(s).
            Another reason would be performance. SQL servers use extensively loads of memory and depending on the DC role it could be a performance issue.
            Although, have to agree that security concerns are the most important of the two.

Cheers
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

But with SQL server you can limit the memory if you need to.
              I've done it a couple of years ago. I had the choice, one DC or two DC's and with one of them SQL server.
              My choice back then was better safe then sorry so rather 2 DC's then 1
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X