Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch office DNS

Hi,

Could someone please clarify how I should setup the DNS in our new branch office in the following scenario?

Current Head office

AD \ DNS \ running fine we have a global catalogue server and a backup domain controller.
    Integrated DNS and a secondary DNS.

Ive setup the site information for the new branch office in AD eg name, subnet, etc

I now plan to setup a domain controller for the new branch office in the head office and then ship this out to them. Single domain.

Could someone just confirm how the DNS should be setup on this new DC for the branch? Will I need to setup a new Zone, or should it a secondary server?

Thanks for your help and input!

Re: Branch office DNS

No need to have an additional zone (in fact you shouldn't have one).

I would have all the DNS server have AD integrated zones. No need to setup secondary zones. That way DNS info is replicated during AD replication and is more efficient.

I noticed that you have DNS on your "backup domain controller" (note that there are no more BDCs in AD, just "additional DCs") and it is setup with a secondary zone. You should convert this to a primary AD integrated zone.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

So basically I install the DNS on the DC and make this integrated?

Secondary DNS - Thanks for the tip, they are both itegrated, just checked.

One other point - would there be anything wrong with doing this :-

When setting up the new branch DC, i give it an IP address on the head office network - set it all - then change the IP and ship it out.

In AD, i'll then move it to the correct site. Is this ok? Or bad practice?

thanks again!

Comment

That should work fine. Just make sure the DNS records are updated when you change the IP address (it should be done automatically)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

I've set this up and sent the server to the branch office. One question - is there anything wrong with doing the following until we get permanent connection between the two offices....

On the server sent to the branch office, Ive created and connected a VPN connection back to the head office. When connected the VPN adapter gets an IP on the subnet of the branch. From the server in the branch I can then ping the other DCs in the head office. Likewise I can ping the branch office server from head office. Is this solution okay for the time for the DCs and DNS to replicate?

Any advice? Or is this okay for the time being?

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Comment

DCDiag will tell you if there is a problem. For more info:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc776854.aspx

Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

It should be fine as long as the DC's can find each other. Keep an eye on the DNS and Replication event logs to make sure you deal with any issues as they come up.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X